Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Pro charger 350mpi kit on a 6.2mpi?? Small block experts please chime in :) >

Pro charger 350mpi kit on a 6.2mpi?? Small block experts please chime in :)

Notices

Pro charger 350mpi kit on a 6.2mpi?? Small block experts please chime in :)

Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pro charger 350mpi kit on a 6.2mpi?? Small block experts please chime in :)

First, no comments on the internals of the 6.2 behind a blower, don't care if it lasts, just a baby boat.

So, found some used 350mpi procharger kits and want to bolt one on a 6.2. Called procharger because they list a 6.2 but they said they never made one kit for the 6.2, and they do not plan on doing the research.

Question. How much different is the 6.2 than the 350mpi? Will the drive pulley and brackets mount up? Not concerned about the intake, that can be modified, but curious if that is the same?

What about fuel system and ecu? Hoping someone knows these engines, because I am lost and there is not a lot of info out there.

Anyone know if any of the big guns have an ecu burn that works?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Externally the 350 and 6.2 are identical. Just depends on if you have the early model with the 4 bbl intake and MEFI 3 or later model with the front mounted throttle body and ecm 555. Only Whipple(that I know of) can program the ecm 555 for a supercharger.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something I've wrestled with many times. Attached should be the link for the 350 setup which is for all intensive purposes the same procedure. Problems I see with this setup as follows

F-5 relying on factory rich settings??? Really?
F-6 Listen for signs of detonation. Hum, hopefully you hear it in time.
F-9 the boost sensing regulator Fuel adjustment. Ok, now i get it. Play with the pressure to cheat the fuel table. Hopefully Idle isn't adversely affected
F-10 Merc cuts fuel to control RPM. Oh Crap, not timing? This could be interesting.

Later it goes on to say under fuel pressure notes that the engines might be to lean after doing this. well no sh*t. Hopefully adding additional fuel pressure (above the boost pressure rate) will compensate for this. I acknowledge this is entirely possible to be effective.

Also under the Timing notes, it talks about bringing back base timing to control total advance. I really think one should get into the computer for this one. Not sure how much the knock sensor would kick back timing. If it even catches it. I personally lock my distributors on blower apps.

My hunch is unless you get into the computer, any performance gain would come with some kind of worry or idle issue.

http://www.cpperformance.com/instruc...rger350mag.pdf

FYI, if you decide not to purchase those superchargers please feel free to forward your source. I'm still contemplating this....maybe

Last edited by abmotorman; 03-22-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

I have these kits mounted on my 6.2s with no issues. No computer flash needed. Motors do run a bit rich but can be adjusted with fuel pressure regulator.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diverkr
I have these kits mounted on my 6.2s with no issues. No computer flash needed. Motors do run a bit rich but can be adjusted with fuel pressure regulator.
Rich....really, still rich after superchargers? Just curious, any other mods? What was yor before and after Mph?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM
Registered

No other mods at the moment. Prob going to install MSD ignitions to sweeten up idle and lower end performance. Eventually throw on a new exhaust. I seem to be guinea pigging this setup as everyone either seems to love or hate the Prochargers. I was running maybe 72 mph stock and now hitting 80 on a summer day. A little more tweaking and I am hoping for a little more speed.

Last edited by diverkr; 03-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

How rich?

What size injectors?

What fuel pressure?

How much boost?

Static C/R ?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by diverkr
No other mods at the moment. Prob going to install MSD ignitions to sweeten up idle and lower end performance. Eventually throw on a new exhaust. I seem to be guinea pigging this setup as everyone either seems to love or hate the Prochargers. I was running maybe 72 mph stock and now hitting 80 on a summer day. A little more tweaking and I am hoping for a little more speed.
Do you have any videos on youtube? Love to see and hear it.