Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Distributor assembly options for 6.2? >

Distributor assembly options for 6.2?

Notices

Distributor assembly options for 6.2?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Well then thanks for the potential good news! I'll get out there and see! Yes I was floating in dock.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS
if it was in neuyral,and in the water, it will still go into guardian( over rev )code,,,looks like you where still tied to the dock on your video,,, the shift sensor lets the computer knows it,s in gear and then will not allow the over rev code
yep,,in neutral rev limiter shuts down 3200-3500 rpm
Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Well that's news I like hearing. A reason to be half-way confident about getting out on the water is a good thing. Thanks for the help guys.

Originally Posted by boatnt
speaker J nuts work pretty good
Is that just a Radio Shack item or where did you get yours? Got a picture of what I should be looking for?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mechanic broke the screw in two on my 6.2 distributor. Not only charged me for a new distributor but after sitting on my boat for three weeks he had it air freighted for an extra $100.00. The plastic GM product is a very poor design in my opinion. Maybe some sort of locktight or lube between the plastic and the screw?
Old 04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Got a good proper trial in yesterday. It ran really strong for about a 45 minute cruise. Lots of 5k RPM runs. When we turned around and started heading back I would get an occasional miss that the RPMs would from from 3500 RPM to 1500 and recover. Stopped for lunch at a restaurant on Travis and when I came off plane the engine died at idle with a beep immediately. On the way back, the miss became a more constant thing and when we went back to idle at the marina it died again. Only way it would restart is under throttle.

That said, it has a brand new IAC and currently the distributor cap is zip tied on. Sounds like potentially those cable ties are loosening up. I want to fix this right now that I have the cash. If I buy a new distributor assembly, is this something I can do myself if I mark off the rotor's position? Or do I need additional tools? Or should I say screw it and have someone do it?

Is this all symptomatic of distributor assembly being loose or do I have a couple issues?