Notices

stereo help

Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo help

I have asked questions before but I still need help. Im trying to upgrade my stereo but am trying to do it cheapest i can. I dont need the best stereo but want a decent one and my biggest priority is hearing it in the water when we are anchored or tied up. I just bought 2 comp 12s to put under rear bench. Should I just mount them free air or try some kind of boxes? Im also leaning toward polk mm 6.5s but like I said I want best set up for listening in the water. Ive considered speakers on transom but it scares me? Anyone mount speakers on dash beneath windshield? Or have speaker boxes they put on sunpad when parked? Any info is appreciated and thanks
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

You'll need an enclosure, check the Kicker manual to see what internal volume the speakers require.

If you're going to mount something on the dash, I'd have it be the tweeter from a component setup. They're small and that's pretty much where they belong anyway.

Never seen them mounted in the transom, but I've not seen everything.

I have seen speakers on the sun pad like you talk about, they work pretty well.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

have a friend that would put speaker boxes on the sunpad. Would take 10-15 min to get them out,wire the speaker wires,position them, keep them out of the way, worry about if someone knocking them off or large waves making them slide off. IMO, way too much hassel and storage problems. i've got a 12' free air sub and 2 6x9s mounted under the seat bench with an amp, no problem hearing them when anchored or under way.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Registered

Yeah id rather not have to worry about everything extra that comes along with having speakers that I have to pull out and constantly worry about if I can keep from it.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ckcgobigblue
Im also leaning toward polk mm 6.5s but like I said I want best set up for listening in the water. Ive considered speakers on transom but it scares me? Anyone mount speakers on dash beneath windshield? Or have speaker boxes they put on sunpad when parked? Any info is appreciated and thanks
I just installed Polk MM651UM speakers driven by a Polk PAD2000.2 amp in a Ranger fish and ski. I can assure you it will not matter where you put MM 6.5's if you put the power to them. This amp is 125W RMS at 4 ohm per channel. The volume and clarity surprised the hell out of me. Highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails stereo help-dash.jpg   stereo help-cmd7.jpg   stereo help-amp.jpg  

Old 03-24-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered

Just bring the boat to Michigan with 1000. I will make you happy with the sound....
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM
Registered

boat sounds can be tricky. You can have 110db and sound freaking awesome while inside the boat, jump in the water and you can have a decent convo with it cranked up. All depends on freeboard and how your boat reflects the sounds. The absolute best option for in the water sounds is to plan for it. Either by making boxes as suggested, going with JL pods, or if you have a genny grabbing 1-2 QSC 8" speakers. I personally have 3 sets of polk 6.5" on a JL 600.6 amp, a dual 12" ported sub box powered by a punch 600bd1, and a set of JL 7"pods that I put up as needed to throw the sound aft for in the water partying powered by a 400amp 2 channel class D amp. There are tons of options, but if you want good, clear in the water sounds you either have to have a boat that you can setup in the cockpit to throw the tunes toward the water or make it happen another way
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Registered

If you tie up in long reaft ups, like I do, it's almost a fool's errand to try and hear your stereo in the water. I'm working on getting the new boat up to snuff, but in my last boat, I had 2 subs and 10 Polk components throughout the boat, even a couple on the dash. It was loud as hell and crystal clear standing in the cockpit, and you could hear it pretty well if you anchored out alone and got in the water. I have decided that I'm going to still put a really good stereo in the current boat, but am not going to worry about hearing it in the water so much anymore, because some 19 year old with 28 Sparkomatic speakers mouted on a wakeboard tower will tie up next to you and drown you out anyway. And that's only because his speakers are mouted 4-5 feet above transom line.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by txtraveller2002
If you tie up in long reaft ups, like I do, it's almost a fool's errand to try and hear your stereo in the water. I'm working on getting the new boat up to snuff, but in my last boat, I had 2 subs and 10 Polk components throughout the boat, even a couple on the dash. It was loud as hell and crystal clear standing in the cockpit, and you could hear it pretty well if you anchored out alone and got in the water. I have decided that I'm going to still put a really good stereo in the current boat, but am not going to worry about hearing it in the water so much anymore, because some 19 year old with 28 Sparkomatic speakers mouted on a wakeboard tower will tie up next to you and drown you out anyway. And that's only because his speakers are mouted 4-5 feet above transom line.
Gotta put the boom in it then they can't compete.

We also had a fix for this at one of our raft off's this year. You get 6 or so of your buddy's all in a row. Tie all the systems together, then they don't have a chance. Although we did have a cruiser show up with a crazy loud system, but it sounded so bad people asked him to shut it off.

Last edited by Nightlife1970; 03-26-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TX Traveler, where did you put your speakers in a 32'fever? I just purchased one and am trying to figure that out. I was think two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs and two Rockford Fosgate 8's under the back seat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.