Notices

engine vibration

Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

personally I would have it rebalanced, how many times do you want to run this thing knowing it has a problem? I find it much easier to just fix it all correctly once and be done.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't, that's why I brought the boat home to fix it right..
Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM
Registered

engine is out of the boat and at the machine shop for tear down.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Registered

engine is rebuilt and will be putting it back in the boat in a couple of weeks, the engine had mismatched main caps, 2 spun bearings, 2 rocker studs broken off, the aluminum heads didn't match the block, so I bought a new block and went back to steel heads. the only thing that was used was the crank, rods, pistons and cam off the engine. pretty sad.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, but seen that many times for those Ebay specials....Rob
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,043 Likes on 1,355 Posts

WOW, just read this whole thread, sorry bigjem, dont know how these guys get a way with selling junk, without being punnished and cant be held accountable for the product, I say pull his ebay card.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

So another engine / machine shop to really look out for. Seems even worst than the builder from Washington who offers a 7 year warranty. Seen a few of his junk engine rebuilds / remans in person installed in various boats. Stay away from his stuff also.

The EBAY ad says " full machine shop and 55 years in business" and he has a 99.1 positive rating. Hmmm it should read 99.1 negative rating putting out slop like that. Anyways hopefully you got everything lined out now with another build so you can enjoy 2014 boating season. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

To ensure to have success with the next engine replace oil cooler and lines and pay close attention to getting all metal out of any bolt ons to the engine that were on the failed engine. Also double check oil line routings to not be reversed and that you have the proper bypass valve in the block, or better yet block it off and run a filter with internal bypass.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjem
engine is rebuilt and will be putting it back in the boat in a couple of weeks, the engine had mismatched main caps, 2 spun bearings, 2 rocker studs broken off, the aluminum heads didn't match the block, so I bought a new block and went back to steel heads. the only thing that was used was the crank, rods, pistons and cam off the engine. pretty sad.
I hate to be the berror of bad news BUT,a cam with an lsa of 108deg is going to have big time reversion problems,and will destroy the engine in no time flat,SORRY.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
You were told by SCAT. I've spoken with them and they claim(it's online in writing that balancers like ATI dampers which happen to be "elastomeric band dampers" and fluidamprs which use silicone (hint hint they own a damper brand, and might be why they are making these claims without evidence). If you look at how a Fluidampr works, you quickly realize this "phenomenon" cannot and does not happen. Ask them to provide proof of this "claim". They cannot. Funny thing is I like SCAT's crankshafts and rods, but I wanted to laugh in the tech guys face when he started in on his verbal diarrhea regarding crankshaft harmonics. Drivers license and a GED, but he's an EXPERT! Sad.

Why wouldn't you want one if you were balancing a motor? Fluidampr doesn't recommend balancing with their viscous style damper in place. Not really sure what's so alarming about that. Fluidampr hasn't has one reported failure of a damper on a high performace motor that's been documented or proven. They have companies whom are offshore and copy their design(poorly), And these may very well be the ones you are speaking of. Fluidampr is a USA produced product located in NY fwiw.

I like both ATI and Fluidampr. I chose Fluidampr for my latest build and have used them on several other applications and have had great results.

Here is what scat blames their broken crankshafts on...http://www.scatcrankshafts.com/scatt...k_the_Nose.pdf
Many Class 8 truck engines use fluid style dampers, and go 1,000,000+ miles on them. I believe the reason they don't want it for balancing purposes, is although they absorb the harmonics well, they are not a ''fixed'' weight. It kinda be like balancing a tire, with water inside it. You'll never get the weight placed on the wheel in the proper place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.