NAPA Syn 15W-50  3.49/quart >

NAPA Syn 15W-50 3.49/quart

Notices

NAPA Syn 15W-50 3.49/quart

Old 04-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I'm far from an expert but from what I have read the high zinc content is only needed on flat tappet engines.
That is true, however high zinc in an engine that doesn't have a flat tappet still helps! Zinc is bad for catalytic systems, which is why it has been nearly removed from "on road" oils. However, it is a superior additive. If you don't have cats on your boat I would suggest running a ZDDP additive, or a high zinc oil.

I run Valvoline 20W50 VR1 syn plus a Zddp additive

"Quaker State engineer Mark Ferner said zinc's extreme pressure qualities also aid in reducing piston ring-to-cylinder bore wear at BDC and TDC, where the rotating assembly sees an abrupt change in velocity and direction. Besides its extreme pressure protection, multifunctional zinc also functions as an antioxidant. That is, things exposed to heat and oxygen are subject to oxidation. In the case of a ferrous metal like iron, oxidation causes corrosion, which we see as rust. As applied to motor oil, Ferner said as the "heat accelerates oxygen, the oil starts to oxidize and thicken, changing into other molecular combinations. As the oil thickens, it forms deposits or varnish. In motor oil, the antioxidant additives first sacrifice themselves to prevent this oxidation from occurring, but if they get overwhelmed, the oil eventually turns into a hard, crusty sludge."

In its antioxidant role, zinc fights heat buildup in various hot spots like the piston-to-piston ring interface and the underside of the piston itself. Oil can accumulate in the honing crosshatch marks in the cylinder bore where it is exposed to combustion temperatures as high as 400-450 degrees F, a prime candidate for oxidation if not protected. Today's modern reduced-zinc passenger-car street oils contain other dedicated antioxidants to make up for the loss of zinc. "
Old 04-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Great buy .....wonder who makes it? seems there was a thread?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...510_0006411544
Meets SN rating, therefore it probably DOES NOT have enought zinc in it for most boating applications.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dogturd21
I would not put this oil on the same level as a true PAO group 3 synthetic- its probably a group 4 "synthetic" by law only. I would just treat it as a slightly better than average dino oil.
Do you know this to be true...or are you just doing some "synthetic" thinking?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I just scored a bunch of the Valvoline VR-1 synthetic from O'Rileys for 3.79/qt.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
I just scored a bunch of the Valvoline VR-1 synthetic from O'Rileys for 3.79/qt.
You sure it is syn? The non syn is normally $6 and syn is $10, that would be a killer deal!
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wannabe
You want the racing (not street legal) oil. Much higher zinc phospate.

http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ng-motor-oil/6

However, 3.49 a quart is a good price on a high quality synthetic.
I may grab some for my Avalanche.

Wannabe
I agree I have been using Valvaline racing straight 40w oil along with a bottle of ZDDP for the last 13 years in my motors never a problem with the rotating asm and I run them very hard for extended periods!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Registered

Dont mean to highjack but where is everybody buying there ZDDP from
Old 04-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
You sure it is syn? The non syn is normally $6 and syn is $10, that would be a killer deal!
Yup. They are no longer going to carry the synthetic because they don't sell much of it so they are liquidating it...atleast here in my area. I bought all that they had and were able to get from other stores and distribution center.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dogturd21
I would not put this oil on the same level as a true PAO group 3 synthetic- its probably a group 4 "synthetic" by law only. I would just treat it as a slightly better than average dino oil.
dt21, you have your Groups mixed up. A true PAO synthetic is a Group IV and the "synthetics by law" are Group III.

NOBODY CAN PRODUCE A GROUP IV SYNTHETIC AND RETAIL IT FOR $4.00, not even Mobil and they are one of the worlds largest, if not the largest producers of PAO base stocks.

Ken
Old 04-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The napa synthetic is same as valvoline synpower other than the fact that they dye it a little different. This sale runs all month and is a great deal for autos and light trucks. I would not use it in a boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.