Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Unknown Wire, where does it go... >

Unknown Wire, where does it go...

Notices

Unknown Wire, where does it go...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unknown Wire, where does it go...

I have been working on re wiring a lot of the components and trying to clean up some old wiring. I can't figure out where this wire goes and was wondering if you guys had any idea from past experiance.

The wire is tied into the key switch and has a fuse and a light bulb on it then a long wire. I had it tagged as coming from the bilge fire extinguisher when I took the motor out....which I don't understand. I'm wondering if this wire is supposed be used for the green light halon seen in the second pic. There is nothing in that spot right now.....

Any help would be appriciated...

Red wire connects to the black with the light on it then continues as a long piece of wire to the back of the boat...

Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is the indicator for your engine room extinguisher (Halon). What the panel says
Old 04-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thanks motor. I see now how they are wired...never delt with those extinguishers before. Too simple I guess.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the halon system has a normally closed circuit that opens when discharged. It should be wired with the blowers so that when the fire suppression discharges, it cuts power to the blowers. Just some extra info
Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Registered

Makes sense to connect with the blower. Do most boats have a discharge switch or are the systems auto (I think I have seen them where the tip of the extinguisher melts and opens the can)?