Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
So over the VST system. Need help on removal! >

So over the VST system. Need help on removal!

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I need to get rid of this failure of a system and get something better on my stock 502 efi. I am looking at the aeromotive site and they have the following diagram:

Now do you fuel gurus feel that I should leave the low pressure pump, pipe this one inline and run it to the rail? Or would I be better off to remove everything and just install this as low as possible in the bilge?

Any other thoughts on getting rid of the VST system would also be appreciated. Not running any big power just staying stock.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I would keep the low pressure pump, mounting it as low as possible. Plumb the high pressure pump to the fuel rail. Run the return line to your tank-DONE!
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Registered

Bump, as I'd like to know as well.

Pretty Please?
Old 05-18-2013, 10:35 AM
Registered

Me too
Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Registered

Bump-

Talked to two of my neighbors, both have A1000's, one runs a lift pump and one does not. I'll call Aeromotive on Monday and see just how much suction those things will take.

Also, these fittings are perfect for grafting a new pump onto your existing fuel system-
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...077b/overview/

Cut the hard line where you need to and voila.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Have you thought about converting to a cool fuel mpi system? I would think it would be less expensive. Randy
Old 01-06-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

I just did mine last year. I removed the hole system. Both pumps. Mount the A1000 low in the Bilge. Take the Check valves out of the tank pickup. I am running the factory fuel pressure regulator so I would not have to modify the fuel rail. Also you will need to run the fuel returns to the tank. I have not had an issue with vapor lock since.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Registered

Here's what I'm doing, we'll see how it works.

I kept the diaphragm pump as a lift pump to feed the Aeromotive. I plan to install the recommended 40 micron filter upstream of the Aero pump- with a lift pump I'm not worried about pressure drop. From the Aero I'll go into the fuel rail. I'm going to remove the factory reg and block off the port. After the fuel exits the rail it'll hit an Aeromotive regulator and then dump to the tank piping.

Kind of a bastardized setup, but I've got a little experience with moving hydrocarbons and the numbers say it'll work. All plumbing will be done in -6 AN or 5/16 fuel line.

Just wish Aeromotive would offer an AN type outlet for their 11109 pump.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Hope this helps. Here is my setup. Two A1000 (down in the bilge) that pull through the big Napa fuel filters with bolt on NAPA mounts to the stringer (down even deeper but still accessible with the seat out in arms reach) and the 13101 regulators (up top) all plumbed in -8. The returns were -6, two equal length into one -8 back to the tank. The A1000's are about 12 inches from the keel and 4 feet from the pickup and level with the pickup/top of tank. I added a fuel pressure gauge to the regulator for quick checks. I didnt set my A/F with them but at least I can check it for consistency every so often. I validated the fuel pressure all the way to 5800 rpm with Innovate Motorsports A/F meter and never skipped a beat. They are modified 496's and run at 44PSI.

You shouldnt need a lift pump but... who knows. Cut the stock regulators off the fuel rail and get AN fittings welded on. For $159 each it isnt worth messing with the stock regulator, just buy Aeromotive 13101's and be done with it. They are more consistant, more adjustable and god forbid that tiny little diaphragm in the stock one doesnt like the A1000 and you are screwed.
Attached Thumbnails So over the VST system. Need help on removal!-dscf2759.jpg   So over the VST system. Need help on removal!-dscf2761.jpg   So over the VST system. Need help on removal!-dscn0352.jpg  

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 01-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Why does everyone run the A1000? That's what I was prepared to use but the Aeromotive website steered me away from it and toward the 11109. Granted this doesn't leave me room for expansion, but I'm shooting for reliability today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.