Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
moving the position of my boat on the trailer without having to go to the ramp >

moving the position of my boat on the trailer without having to go to the ramp

Notices

moving the position of my boat on the trailer without having to go to the ramp

Old 04-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No prob. Good luck. My buddies 31 is hanging by chains now lol. What power you putting back in? Those flat decks are sweet!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That way sounds really easy and a little safer. And knowing my luck after dumping all this money into this boat trying to get it ready for this summer I would land it perfectly in the bed of my truck! Lol. Would be a good picture though!
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will probably move it just fine with the braking method.

The easiest way to lift a boat slightly away from a trailer is to lift the entire trailer with the floor or bottle jack; block the boat with cinder blocks and a 2x6 between the block and hull. Then lower the trailer away from the boat. It sounds complicated but only takes a few minutes: floor/bottle jack on the back two sides of the boat, and use the tongue jack for the front.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
No prob. Good luck. My buddies 31 is hanging by chains now lol. What power you putting back in? Those flat decks are sweet!
I'm putting in stock 454s for now the boat needed a bunch of stuff so working with the budget I had I couldn't get the bigger horse power motors. But my plan now that im almost on the water with it is to start looking for some 502 blocks and start building the motors I want then when I get them done swap them and sell the 454s. That will take a while though because I still have lots of little things I still want to do on the boat.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool. My buddy has a L.S. 31 he is restoring. They have great lines. Good luck with it
Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You will probably move it just fine with the braking method.

The easiest way to lift a boat slightly away from a trailer is to lift the entire trailer with the floor or bottle jack; block the boat with cinder blocks and a 2x6 between the block and hull. Then lower the trailer away from the boat. It sounds complicated but only takes a few minutes: floor/bottle jack on the back two sides of the boat, and use the tongue jack for the front.
FWIW I have seen cinder blocks "blow apart" under weight of a boat .If you are going to block it, use blocks more substantial. Square timbers.. MY Opinion
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by motor
FWIW I have seen cinder blocks "blow apart" under weight of a boat .If you are going to block it, use blocks more substantial. Square timbers.. MY Opinion
Good point. I've used the solid & dense ones when I do such.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Let's hear how you make out, unless of course the boat ends up in the bed of the truck...
hey, if that happens, i not only wanna hear it, I WANT PICS!!! also, if towing a boat with no power, you need it back on the trailer. if in the normal spot, it is too nose heavy...

Last edited by dereknkathy; 04-13-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

anybody know of simple way without a bunch of machinery to lift a boat up just enough to redo the bunks.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

See methods above. All you need is a bottle jack or a floor jack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.