Question for the Twin Engine Guys >

Question for the Twin Engine Guys

Notices

Question for the Twin Engine Guys

Old 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Question for the Twin Engine Guys

I own a single engine (496 Mag) and It's a pain in the ars to change the sea water impeller and spark plugs (engine sits low in the box). I've been considering moving up to twins for a few years but when I look at the engine compartment, I have to ask: How the heck do you change the plugs on the inner side of each engine? And how do you get to the water pump on the port engine? Seems like in non-staggared set-ups, the engines are so close that you couldn't get between them to work on them?? Every summer I feel I'm ready to move up. Until I do my routine maintenance and have to turn into a contortionist! Seems like it would be even worse with twins!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

it is worse - much worse!

Lots of scrapes and scratches to hands, wrists, forearms, and biceps.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep its a *****. Plugs where not that bad. did btoh mototrs in about an hour.

have not done sea water pumps yet, but its my big fear.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Registered

I did my pump impeller last year and after many explatives, thrown tools and bloody hands & arms later, it was done. Took the better part of the day to remove everything in the way and then reinstall. This Spring, the pump is not circulating water so gotta tear it out again. Paying someone this time!!! I just can't imagine doing all this on 2 engines!! I need deeper pockets!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered

Guess it depends on the boat. Mine is pretty easy to get to the impellers. I am not a mechanical guy I hate working on engines and I can do mine pretty easy. I have never done the plugs but my brother does not say its hard or anything. I can say that getting a starter out is (*&^$%#@)$*%& PIA, and all I had to do was replace the bendix in it.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Starters would be a Worse then the empellars i think
Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the boat. I can stand in my bilge and work on mine. I can sit or lay on the step plates and get under them too.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
Depends on the boat. I can stand in my bilge and work on mine. I can sit or lay on the step plates and get under them too.
that would be nice! I have to pull the pin on the hydraulic hatch to prop it open at 90 deg in order to stand in there. Guess I just have to look closely for access before buying anything.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

i can reach my drain plugs on both of my pans. you learn to bend and flex in ways you never thought you could but once you get used to working on twins its not that bad. its worth having twins over the single!!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Registered

Done the plugs and sea pumps ,i found sea pumps easy if you remove pump , plugs best way is to crack em loose then use 4to six inch peace of vac pipe over the end of plug and twist them all the way out ,same for getting them back in .
This is my first twin and i must addmit the first time i worked on the motors my arms did look like chopped liver at the end of the day. 28ft pantera so a bit tight in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.