Notices

PS Pump Options

Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Question PS Pump Options

Finishing install of my Hardin internal hydraulic kit. Decided I want to replace my original ps pump since last year I lost fluid & it ran dry for short time. Don't want to loose time reinstalling current one only to find it not working properly. I cant replace with one of the newer style like on cpperformance due to budget constraints at moment. What are my options? Can I just buy a reman'd auto unit & then replace the internal valve from my current one? Since I now have an external reservoir do I need one with built in reservoir? Or is there just a rebuilt kit I could buy & keep current unit?
Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can use one that matches the basic style, I would change the pressure relief spring, valve and fitting from old pump to keep pressure close to what you had...
Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar pump may be a Saginaw PS pump. Yes, plunder the relief spring and valve and install on new pump. Most auto parts stores should have them in stock.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks. I did order a normal GM one from auto store. Found steps on how to change the valves so should have this hydraulic kit finished this weekend. Hated to replace all the other steering components & still use 20yr old pump running it all.