New Guy Here and Velocity Budget build help needed >

New Guy Here and Velocity Budget build help needed

Notices

New Guy Here and Velocity Budget build help needed

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Guy Here and Velocity Budget build help needed

I just recently purchased a velocity 260 1996. I bought the boat and it had a hurt engine in it. They took the engine out and got rid of it and so Im left with a boat with wires and nothing else. I dont know anything about boats, but have been building custom cars for the better half of my life.

I will post a picture of entire engine area maybe someone can help me figure out what is needed.

I have a 98 L29 GEN VI that is at the machine shop getting rebuilt. It will cost next to nothing to get it done. I had plans on building a 500+ inch engine but I would like to enjoy boat this summer and thats not going to work. So, once the engine is in boat I will start building another engine.

As far as engine goes I know that I need a different oilpan, thermostat housing, water pump, Im also going to run it carb for now till I can aquire the right fuel injection. I have fuel pump (holley blue and Reg), and figured an HEI distributor was going to be the way to go. I also have the manifolds and risers from a 2000 velocity. alot of the hoses for the engine I can have made being that a friend of mine works for a hose company that does alot of aircraft and oil rig stuff. my questions on the engine is
1 what type of engine mounts will I need?
2 will the brackets for the the truck engine work for power steering pump and altenator?
3 what intake is recomended and carb size?
4 does anyone have oilpan, thermostat housing, or brackets?

I have more questions but its late and dont remember all of them
I also need to find a place to upload pictures so I can post them.
Sorry for the crappy thread but like I said I dont really know anything about boats and Im not sure what information is needed. hopefully alot of this information is pretty generic.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

due to enclosed engine compartment starter,alternator and ignition should all be marine units.
Youll need an engine oil cooler and power steering cooler..
best bet is to buy a complete blown up marine 454 and transfer over everything to yours..
Doing piece by piece will cost you way more..
I have seen complete setups with freeze damaged engines sell for as little as $500

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 06-13-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Registered

I have been looking and cant find anything... I just find everything in parts..
Old 06-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Registered

Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey dutchboy
I can probably help you out with alot of the stuff you're looking for on the cheap. I don't have an oil pan, t stat housing or water pump or sea water pump but I have the alt/power steering bracket, the hoses and bracket for the oil filter relocation, the motor mounts, the bellhousing, a 10 pin harness for a motor (harness has 1 plug spliced on it) and probably Afew misc stuff that you might need. Where are you located?

You'll also need a sea water pump for the motor, as far as carb intake setup what kinda hp is the gen6 just a 365 hp? If that's the case a Holley 750 should do probably..?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh and you're going to need a coupler, they can be had in the swap shop pretty reasonably.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 PM
Registered

Im in Dallas, I sent you a private message. If you can call me when you get a chance..
Gary
Old 06-14-2013, 01:28 AM
Registered

Im under the impression that I will use a flexplate to bolt my coupler to.. My question is what is the difference in a mercruiser flexplate and automotive one. I have one with the correct balance off the engine that Im having built.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merc engines use a flywheel, not a flex plate. The drive coupler bolts to the flywheel. Automotive ones work fine.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 280 velocity with a blown motor last fall and got it done for the spring. Here's a link with a lot of pics. It may be of help to see motor mounts and placement of where everything goes. It's a lot of work, but work it. The velocity is a great boat. I love mine!!

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/r...d-updates.html

Is the deck cut out at the rear of the boat by the transom?