relocate alternator, hittling gil manifold

Notices

relocate alternator, hittling gil manifold

Old 06-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocate alternator, hittling gil manifold

hey guys,
new to the thread, I've got a 502 h.o. that had cmi headers on it and just replaced those with gil manifolds. the problem i'm having is the back of the alternator is hitting the bottom of the manifold and water fitting/hose. the power steering pump is fine. any ideas?

thanks for any advice you may have!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, I am having the same problem!! Up here searching for answers. I bought a alt bracket from Hardin that will drop it down, but after looking at the new bracket, It bolts up under the p/s pump which is going to throw the alignment off for belts. Hardin says press the p/s pulley on the pump further!!!lmao I have re-rigged my whole boat and these damn gil/hardin/mercruiser/etc!! manifolds have been the biggest pain in the a** of it all. Also the water inlet on the manifolds are hitting my stringer....what can I do for this problem??? A 90 will not fit in there.

You spend thousands of dollars on stuff and then have to modify the crap out of it. I know it is all part of modifying, but dagg on. That alt bracket was $129, I will let you know if it works in the next day or so, but I don't think I have the room to press the p/s pulley any further back. Someone has to sell a p/s and alt bracket together that will fix this.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I modified my alt bracket to lower the alt. Seems like I cut part of it off and redrilled one hole. That lowered it down enough and kept it in alignment.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. We are going to hit it full force tonight and try to figure out what to do. This boat has to get in the water!!lol I have talked to 10 people running this exhaust and all said it bolted right up. There must be a hand full of merc brackets out there that are different for some rime or reason. Mine is hitting without any water necks on it, so I know it has to go down at least 2-3".

I will let you guys if we figure anything out tonight.
Brad
Old 06-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

ive tried 2 brackets from hardin marine. the first one I tried was the power steering/alt bracket that was suppose to drop the alternator 2-3 inches which it didn't, it raised the power steering up which was fine to begin with. now ive got the alternator only bracket that flips it over but puts the belt out of line. also the oil cooler tube is in the way for that.

sounds like me and you have the same exact problem "formula"

im with you on just trying to hit the water, lol its damn near july now!
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 AM
Registered

I put this bracket on last night
http://www.hardin-marine.com/c-1223-...-brackets.aspx

620-910030

It dropped the alt down and flipped it over. The manifold clears now and the belt appears to be inline, but the truth will come out when I start it up!!lol I did have to modify the bracket to fit the hardware Hardin sent. All the bolt holes have to be drilled out due to them powdercoating and the shank on one bolt is to big. A banjo fitting will have to be put on the p/s pressure line as well to clear manifold. I will let you know how it all works out in the next day or so.

Brad
Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

that's the bracket I now have, thanks for the help. I guess I need to re route my oil comer also
Old 06-28-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered

will be firing it up tonight, let you know if belt stays on. you will need a banjo fitting for the pressure line coming into the p/s pump from cooler in order for it too clear the manifold.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have one of the relocation brackets for the alt and ps pump if anyone needs it. Free to a good home.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Registered

im still having problems. the second bracket I got that dropped just the alternator way down is now flush with the motor mount, which sits on a rail from front to back of my transom. im running out of ideas.

snap, still have that bracket?