Notices

Comp Cam question

Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
That spec is almost the same. What did you do with the ecm? Did you try it without making fuel changes? Oh yeah, what year is yours? Mine are 1998 or 1999 engines. Still need to confirm that.
Cam is 00483LM Crower 221/230 @.050 and .525"/.545" on 1.5 rocker, 114 LSA. Kept the ECM (MEFI 1). Motor was a 95 Mag EFI/MP motor with non-vortec heads. Kept non-vortec style to utilize the existing EFI system.

Major changes from the stock Merc 350 Mag EFI/MP configuration were: Dart heads, bigger exhaust valve size, bigger cam, tiny bit more compression (.1 pt), stroker crank. Motor started and ran on a test stand with the major mods on the stock tune. Actually ran very well. I set base timing then installed bigger injectors (stock were 24 lb, new injectors were 42 lb) and it ran with the stock tune as well but was pig rich as expected when you nearly double the injector size. I then trimmed out the fuel and it runs great. Real happy with how it performs. Made minor changes to timing table.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
Cam is 00483LM Crower 221/230 @.050 and .525"/.545" on 1.5 rocker, 114 LSA. Kept the ECM (MEFI 1). Motor was a 95 Mag EFI/MP motor with non-vortec heads. Kept non-vortec style to utilize the existing EFI system.

Major changes from the stock Merc 350 Mag EFI/MP configuration were: Dart heads, bigger exhaust valve size, bigger cam, tiny bit more compression (.1 pt), stroker crank. Motor started and ran on a test stand with the major mods on the stock tune. Actually ran very well. I set base timing then installed bigger injectors (stock were 24 lb, new injectors were 42 lb) and it ran with the stock tune as well but was pig rich as expected when you nearly double the injector size. I then trimmed out the fuel and it runs great. Real happy with how it performs. Made minor changes to timing table.
Very interesting. What did you use to get into the computer? I was thinking on investing in the MEFIBurn system but really would like to see it in action in person first. Not sure if anyone around Wisconsin has the system for me to witness yet. My application / project shouldn't require much either. Probably can stay with the same injectors too.

Thanks again for the feedback might pick your brain again over winter. Andy
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I used MEFI Burn. I'd be happy to share my experiences with you. PM me for more info.