496 Mag HO water in the cylinders. How? >

496 Mag HO water in the cylinders. How?

Notices

496 Mag HO water in the cylinders. How?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any history or tell tale signs of overheating at one time? If the paint is crispy around the manifolds it might have gotten hot & cracked a manifold. How straight are the pipes coming out of the risers? Just trying to think the problem. Randy
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
Registered

I would spin it without the plugs, put the plugs back in it and fire it . The chances of bending a rod using the starter are slim ( you said you didn't think it fired).Bring it up to temp, shut it off and pull plugs. Let it sit overnight and spin it with the plugs out, look for water coming out of a cylinder. But that is just me.....
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mallatt442
I would spin it without the plugs, put the plugs back in it and fire it . The chances of bending a rod using the starter are slim ( you said you didn't think it fired).Bring it up to temp, shut it off and pull plugs. Let it sit overnight and spin it with the plugs out, look for water coming out of a cylinder. But that is just me.....
This happened to me last year. We were trailering the boat when it must've happened. The boat sat two weeks before we discovered the problem. As we tested the boat at home on the hose it would not turn over and made a sickening thunk.

I pulled the plugs and then manually turned the engine, flushing out a lot of water from one of the cylinders. Then it would spin freely with the starter. I changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs. After that it ran fine and continues perfectly to this day.

I am not sure how the water got in but I figured that as we were shutting down the motor with the corsa exhaust on, a wave must've hit the back of the boat as it was getting onto the trailer.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Back to the flappers. Do you have internal and external flappers. You need both. Lift up the external flappers and shine a light up in the pipes. You should have internals also. If theyare gone it will just happen again if not replaced. Check your other engine also.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Back to the flappers. Do you have internal and external flappers. You need both. Lift up the external flappers and shine a light up in the pipes. You should have internals also. If theyare gone it will just happen again if not replaced. Check your other engine also.
no internal flappers maybe turn the silent choice switch on. this would close the gap while sitting.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Registered

this is an ex salt water boat. I have seen numerous posts of these aluminum 496 manifolds rotted and leaking. I have to tell you I am scared to put this manifold back on. if it leaks that engine is done.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AZFormula
This happened to me last year. We were trailering the boat when it must've happened. The boat sat two weeks before we discovered the problem. As we tested the boat at home on the hose it would not turn over and made a sickening thunk.

I pulled the plugs and then manually turned the engine, flushing out a lot of water from one of the cylinders. Then it would spin freely with the starter. I changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs. After that it ran fine and continues perfectly to this day.

I am not sure how the water got in but I figured that as we were shutting down the motor with the corsa exhaust on, a wave must've hit the back of the boat as it was getting onto the trailer.
hmmmmmm......interesting. exactly what I had.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Is there any history or tell tale signs of overheating at one time? If the paint is crispy around the manifolds it might have gotten hot & cracked a manifold. How straight are the pipes coming out of the risers? Just trying to think the problem. Randy
no over heating. the pipes have good angle on the trailer and even more in the water.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by CATF800
this is an ex salt water boat. I have seen numerous posts of these aluminum 496 manifolds rotted and leaking. I have to tell you I am scared to put this manifold back on. if it leaks that engine is done.
'05 might be cast iron instead of aluminum. All had stainless risers. Put a magnet to the manifold and see which you have.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

what ever you do,,replace the exhaust tips with ones that have internal flappers...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.