Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
89' Formula 242ls too DAMN slow! >

89' Formula 242ls too DAMN slow!

Notices

89' Formula 242ls too DAMN slow!

Old 06-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ck compression...may be down on power as well...
Old 07-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, spent some time with the boat this weekend and here's what I found. I wasn't able to find any water below deck, so I guess that is out. I tested 2 props, a Stainless 22p 4-blade, and a Stainless 21p 3-blade, and tested them both headed down-river, with the same amount of fuel/cargo, and used the same RPM guage, and GPS system. The 4-blade jumps on plane, but cavitates its ASS off right before it gets on plane so you have to back it down quite a bit and then get back into it, and runs WOT at 4400rpms @ 50mph. The 3-blade was a little slower getting on plane, never cavitated, and runs WOT at 4750rpms @ 53mph. It did seem to like the 3 blade a bit more, was very nose-in-the-air happy, had to use the trim tabs a bit. So I am thinking that trying a Stainless 22p 3-blade or a Stainless 23p 3-blade would be next? And what about those 'Chopper' type props? Saw a few nice ones for sale, look bad ass, but I have a feeling they are probably better suited on lighter high revving boats? thanks guys
Old 07-01-2013, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You could always drag your boat to a truck to and weigh it make sure your not holding water in the stringers or transom, I think your headed in the right direction with props. See if there is a 21p plus out there, it will act like a 22p before you move up to the 23, or if the 23 doesn't help then go that route.

Was there a break in period for the drive work that was done?
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was not told of any type of break in period for the drive, and seeing how it is really kinda similar to a vehicle differential in how it is put together (90 degree gears, with loaded bearing/shims, ect), I wouldn't assume there being a break in period like there would be an engine which has to seat the rings, pump up the lifters, wear the bearings, ect)...?? I'm really more interested in the whole "water in the boat" thing, but don't know where to look? My floor has a little lift up step in the cuddy with a drain tube, and you can see where the floor comes to a "v", and its dry, and the tube is clear and flows to the engine compartment just fine. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? And as far as the prop, I'm starting to see more and more that the Mirage or Mirage Plus might be the way to go, the main reason I was wanting to go to a 23 instead of a 22 is because I was gonna throw a built Holly 750 and a nice intake on it soon, so maybe that would up the power a bit to get good use out of the 23. But even that is temporary, I have a Gen6 454 full roller motor in the garage I want to start building for it over the winter to throw in it in the summer. I'm hoping 500hp with some heavy head work and a good cam. That should at least get me to 65 wouldn't ya think?
Old 07-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
I was not told of any type of break in period for the drive, and seeing how it is really kinda similar to a vehicle differential in how it is put together (90 degree gears, with loaded bearing/shims, ect), I wouldn't assume there being a break in period like there would be an engine which has to seat the rings, pump up the lifters, wear the bearings, ect)...?? I'm really more interested in the whole "water in the boat" thing, but don't know where to look? My floor has a little lift up step in the cuddy with a drain tube, and you can see where the floor comes to a "v", and its dry, and the tube is clear and flows to the engine compartment just fine. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? And as far as the prop, I'm starting to see more and more that the Mirage or Mirage Plus might be the way to go, the main reason I was wanting to go to a 23 instead of a 22 is because I was gonna throw a built Holly 750 and a nice intake on it soon, so maybe that would up the power a bit to get good use out of the 23. But even that is temporary, I have a Gen6 454 full roller motor in the garage I want to start building for it over the winter to throw in it in the summer. I'm hoping 500hp with some heavy head work and a good cam. That should at least get me to 65 wouldn't ya think?
With the engine you have waiting in the wings...I wouldn't sweat myself too much over your current combo. Run it thru the season...enjoy it and concentrate on the build. I think 65 is a realistic expectation with 500 HP and 550 Ft Lbs of tq...25" Mirage Plus.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Have you pulled the gas tank hatch yet and checked your foam? There is no drain in the gas tank compartment which was filled with foam, mine was ok until the last 6-8 of foam closest to the hull, and then it was soaked. Unfortunately if that IS the case, you are in for a lot more then you bargained for b/c the stringers and decks will probably be trashed as well. Don't as me how I know...

There is a break in period for new drives as well as rebuilt drives. Usually the first 10 hours of run time are not supposed to maintain constant RPM's, you are supposed to constantly be changing them. Also only very short bursts at WOT and then the oil is supposed to be changed after 10 hrs and normal operation can resume.

Honestly I would run a compression test, my guess is you are low in 1 cylinder or more.

Good Luck
Billy