Notices

Poker Runs on a Budget.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so glad I saw this thread, I have never participated in a poker run, but have been wanting to for a long time! I'm up here in Missouri, so it's a little different, as we have runs on the Mississippi (which is littered with "normal" boats as you have mentioned, such as 50-70 mph Baja's, formulas, sleekcrafts, sunsations, scarabs, checkmates, ect), so I'm really looking forward to it here in a few weeks! .....if it ever stops flooding that is! The only other options we have is the Lake of the Ozarks, which if you've ever been there you already know how that is: a playground for hundreds of people with million dollar boats. I think if I went there in my mid 50's mph Formula, I would probably get a MTI cat shoved right up my ass at about 160 mph... lol
Old 06-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
I'm so glad I saw this thread, I have never participated in a poker run, but have been wanting to for a long time! I'm up here in Missouri, so it's a little different, as we have runs on the Mississippi (which is littered with "normal" boats as you have mentioned, such as 50-70 mph Baja's, formulas, sleekcrafts, sunsations, scarabs, checkmates, ect), so I'm really looking forward to it here in a few weeks! .....if it ever stops flooding that is! The only other options we have is the Lake of the Ozarks, which if you've ever been there you already know how that is: a playground for hundreds of people with million dollar boats. I think if I went there in my mid 50's mph Formula, I would probably get a MTI cat shoved right up my ass at about 160 mph... lol
Not really, Even though those guys run fast, they don't want to wreck their $800,00 boat. I have been going to LOTO for the last 12 years and have never had any issues and there are a lot of boats smaller than my 28. In the big waves when a buch of big boats blow past you, I may slow down to 25-30, but most of the time I run between 35-50, unless some suspecting boat wants to go play. That's always fun because sometimes you win and mostly you loose.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for starting this thread Sprink. I have been wondering this myself and actually have tried looking it up a couple times with little success. I didn't realize you can run in these at speeds 35-55 mph, which is where I would want to run. I have been looking around for one local, but there isn't much. I guess I will just have to plan a trip somewhere....

Being the original topic also talked about PR on a budget, what kind of prices do most of these events cost to get into? I know it is donated and I'm all for that. But some of the events I see have a $650 entry fee. All said and done that means I'm looking at a $1k weekend. Maybe that is just for the bigger events?
Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

During the LOTO shootout, there are several poker runs on Friday and they probably vary, but the ones I have been in cost $100 per hand and you usually get a meal and/or T shirt. But for me it's all about seeing all the boats running and taking pictures of them at the stops. Now the water on the weekend to and from the shootout, you would probably be doing 10-15mph in a smaller boat, unless you beat the crowd towards the end of the race day.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

pirates of lanier was $100 entry and $50 for additional hands and you got a bunch of stuff when you entered and a great party and food as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Florida powerboat club seems to e the most expensive. Requiring your a club member and then an entry fee. I wouldn't ever run one if theirs. The owner has made a business of it an it all lines his pockets. Many others out there about charity's and such. That's the ones I wanna run.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I just started running them last summer and also jsut did Cumberland for the first time my 288 is a 63 mph boat and there are always other boats to run with, my biggest probelm at Cumberland was i missed leaving with my group (wife & son got lost getting there) and we ended up leave with the very last group and got beat to death. I finally backed off and ducked in behind a Foutain Express crusier until it smoothed out. As someone else said its more aboat seeing the boats and hangin out with others that share our hobby. The upcoming run at Old Hickory lake is a good one the lake is smaller and was not very rough plus the river run to downtown Nahsville is great fun.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read about the one up in Boyne, MI by Traverse City. I believe entry was $1000 and then an extra $100 for people. If I do not have foster kids and only take my kids, that would be $1500 right there. Then I have to tow the boat up there for 6 hours each way, and if go up there, you know we are camping so that is both 3/4 burbs headed north for another $500 in transportation fuel. Add the cost of fuel in and you are talking a $2500 weekend. I like what they support, and hope I am in a position to do that some day, but right now can not justify it. I like the other charities I donate to now and that would have to suffer some to dropa $2500 on an event like that.

Then there is that thought of being "That guy in the old little Formula..." LOL. Oh-well, from the sounds of it there are other ones out there that are more appropriate for me. Might have to plan a camping trip around a poker run next year or the year after.

Brian
Old 06-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

You might want to consider the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association's Battleship Run on Seneca Lake in upstate New York. This year will be the 23rd running of the event and you don't last that long by not doing a pretty darn good job. The event is very casual / low key and you don't need an $800K boat with a full semi tow rig to have a blast. We've had everything from 140 MPH Skaters to a jet ski and a 21' Hyrdostream show up and run. You get to sign up for one of three paced fleets. One runs 55 MPH, the next runs 65-70 MPH and the third runs well over a hundred. We even had a guy pace the "slow" fleet one year in a 21' Four Winns. Yes, he ran flat out the whole time, but he had a blast too. And since Seneca Lake is big, wide and deep, having to eat wakes in a slower / smaller boat is rarely a problem. I've run my 22' Progression every year since I bought it and never had a problem feeling small or slow. Come on down! (Or is that up?)
Old 06-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My family was at the finger lakes last year and said we had to camp there. We will make it there eventually, just don't think I can convince my wife to tow the boat for 9 hours while I tow the camper. Not going to happen. sounds like a fun run there, gotta find something like that closer. Will look at something around lake erie or Kentucky region. Pointless until I get the dang thing running!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.