101 on fixing a gel coat chip?

Notices

101 on fixing a gel coat chip?

Old 06-30-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 101 on fixing a gel coat chip?

Hey guys,

I was replacing my rear view mirror and managed to chip my gel coat in the process. It's a small little spot. What is the easiest way to fix this and match the existing gel coat?

Here's a pic of the spot:

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's hard to tell how big that is from the pic. It looks like there is a void behind the chip. Gel fills corners really well but glass not so much thats how you end up with voids behind corners like that.
I would get some thickened resin or a bit of chopped mat and fill that void first. get a dremel and fair the edges. you may need to build it up and grind it back down again to get the corner back to just a tad low.
get some white gel and try to mix Tiny bits of other in to match yours, or just use white, do this all you want before you catalize the gel. for small stuff you can just putty knife the gel on there and sand it back down when it's set.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:23 PM
Registered

oh and tape that area off. resin/gel is messy. Preval makes a disposable sprayer that would work also but you would need to thin the gel a bit first.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tips. It is really small about the size of your pinky nail. I know absolutely nothing about doing this. Where is a good place to find some resin and white gel locally?
Old 07-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered

Not sure if any of your local stores carry this, but it is a good place to start with. I have read that you can mix the color with Marine Tex and it works real well. It's base color is really white and probably needs a little color to make it off white, but Tex is more like a paste and won't run off.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21784220?w...599990&veh=sem
Old 07-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

A long time ago I had to repair a deep scratch on my Rinker and I found a company on line that sold the gel coat to match your boat. Gave them the year and make and they could tell me what colors were gel. The sent me a small little jar and all I had to do was fill sand and wax. Wish I knew the site but just google it and you'll find something.

Easy fix too.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Registered

I assume your talking about this site: Spectrum Color
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firehill19
I assume your talking about this site: Spectrum Color
Yep. Got a jar of white in my garage now. Great product.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered

Checked them out and unfortunately Sunsation is not on the list. I suppose I'll get one of those mixing kits and see. It's pretty bright white gel but I guess you never know until you put the new gel on.

I looked at it more closely this weekend. There is a small void behind it but it's very small. Is gel thick enough that I could just layer some in there and build it up that way?