Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Damn fuel injection!  Help! >

Damn fuel injection! Help!

Notices

Damn fuel injection! Help!

Old 07-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You dont want e90...it will only make matters much worse!!! I went thru this problem a couple years ago with getting water in my fuel during storage. I would be draining my water seperator every time i went out. Even multiple times in one short trip out. My boat would run fine the just stutter and then completly die, i would drain the seperator then it would run fine and shortly die again aand I woud repeat the process over and over!!!! this happend 2 years in a row till i switched to a different storage facility!! Caused alot of problems all season long the first season, and the second season i clued in when i picked my boat up form storage and it had condensation all over the bottom of the hull and in the engine compartment. I completly drained the tank and filled with fresh gas with zero ethonal in it (shell in Canada) and drain my water seperator again. After doing this it was like magic my boat ran perfect once again but i still drained my water seperator after outings a few more time to make sure i got all the water out. You can drain your tank by blowing compressed air thu your vent and disconect your line going into your fuel pump and draining out the bilge plug hole into gas cans. I gave the fuel to my fatther in law for his old tractors that run on anything. He was happy to get 80 gallons of fuel and I was happy to end my problems.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Registered

by the way stay away from ethonal if you can as it will absorb water...check you tube out on that subject!!!
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Registered

OK. Follow up. Removed the fuel cap (I already thought of that), changed fuel/water seperator, and went for a run. Ran up thru full throttle for better than 1/2 hour. It was funny, I'd hit the occasional wake and it would stammer but not stall. Decided to keep running to burn out the old (new) gas with sea foam in it. Overall pretty happy.

Pulled into the local marina and filled 30 gal ethanol free mid-grade. Headed back out and did several full throttle runs (with gas cap back on) with no trouble. I was a full hour run time without a stall. Happy boy! But not so fast....

Pulled into a local waterfront restaurant for a beer. Met some friends. Stayed about an hour then decided to hut a different place across the river. No-waked my way out of the channel but before I got there she died completely. Won't even start now. Got a tow back to the bar (thank God) but boat is disabled at the pier.

So finally get a tank of E-free gas and now dead in the water.

Next?
Old 07-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Things I have learned... Does it have a vst? If so did you clean that out and the filter in there??
Old 07-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Pull injectors and clean filters in the tops of them. I had this problem too. Or is it possible someone poured sand in your tank. Had a buddy this appended too. Plugging up pick up in the tank.

Last edited by John.Laskowski; 07-14-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered

Went back over this evening with the trailer hoping I could paddle it over to the ramp. Just for ****s n giggles Itried to start her. No joy. Then I thought II'd try ZO6's filter trick. Spun it off, drained, and reinstalled. Fired right up. Didn't run it at speed but put putted to the ramp, just to see it chained off and locked. Doh!

I have two recently used and drained filters and one new one. Pretty sure I can power the boat home without incident tomorrow. Maybe just need to keep changing filters a while until the water is out of the system.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I know no one likes to hear this as its old school, but I vote for selling all the efi crap and put a nice intake and carb on and go boating. I know its old technology, bad fuel consumption etc etc, but I look at it this way. Fuel injection will get better mileage than a carb, but not that much if the carb is tuned right. He just spent $3000 trying to get the boat running due to fuel injection issues. That $3000 would have bought a ton of gas for trouble free boat riding. My velocity came with a 502 mag (fuel injected) and I was able to sell the fuel injection for enough money to buy new intake and carb and all the associated parts to set it up for what I made off the Fi parts. A carb is so easy to work on and if a jet is clogged (doesn't happen often) you can be running in 5 minutes with common hand tools.

I am all for new technology as I dyno tune fuel injected race bikes on a daily basis, but I can get off a broke down bike and walk home. I can't do that in my boat.

Plus a nice single plane intake and carb looks better than a mpi intake.

[Flame suit on]
Old 07-17-2013, 07:33 PM
Registered

I would just drain the tank and be done with it if a few filter changes don't do the trick ( dont know how much water is in there). Dont ditch the fuel injection till you try draining the tank, Its the cheapest and easiest thing you could do!! Took all of 1/2hr to do this. might lose a few hundred bucks in fuel, but a mechanic will cost you that in a couple hours...not to mention parts!! might have to barrow a few gas cans that you can give back to your friends full. I also ran some of that old fuel in my truck (02 f150) with no problems. I think with the water seperator on the boat, it would just fill up with enough water and chock it for gas and then die. No water seperator on my truck...it just kept running fine as it normally did! I did alot of draining the filter also before I completly drained the whole tank. I to was just getting ready to ditch the EFI and was sure glad i didnt!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Registered

if you drain the tank make sure you drain every last oz!! Dont forget ...all that water will be on the bottom of the tank as gas floats on water which im sure you already know.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Registered

Drove the boat home (about 9 miles) after draining the filter. Ran about half of that trip at full throttle. No issues. Just off my dock she stammered and almost stalled but I caught it in time. Got her up on the lift and drained the filter again. Looks like I'm gonna have to do this a few more times but at least I know I'm not likely to get stranded.

I did drain the tank. Back before we found the faulty fuel pressure regulator. Pumped it with a Holley electric pump just as you mentioned, but I pumped it from the factory fuel pick up on the tank. I suppose it's possible that the stand pipe is maybe 1/2" to 1" off the tank floor but I'm guessing I got most of the fuel/water out. The only think left to do would be to pump it out from the fuel sender hole, and manually push the hose right to the bottom. Seems like overkill but might be required if I keep cycling filters. I'll think about it after I burn down this fresh 30 gallons.

I'm wondering if I could put a permanent Racor 500MA fuel water separator between the tank and the mechanical pump. I'd love to just be able to drain the bowl ever couple of days and say good bye to water for good. Would I lose too much suction?