Notices

Home made anchor

Old 07-23-2013, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Home made anchor

OK, this seems kind of lame to make a thread about, but this is do it yourself on a budget and that describes me! Normally I would just post this type of stuff in my Formula 272 rebuild thread, but figure I will post it separately also since this is less related to my Formula

I was looking at anchors and the box anchor really is highly recommended for where I boat. I will boat mainly on a inland lake of just over 3000 acres in NE Indiana. It is a sandy bottom lake and will generally anchor at the sand bar which is about 4' deep. The other boating location will be Lake Michigan in SW Michigan, so the sand there is also good for this.

Now, the box anchor by slide anchor is a nice unit, but I really do not need it to fold up and being steel, it is a bit heavy at 19 pounds. I have children and if they need to handle the anchor, lighter will be better on this. I do not need stainless and the 19 lb galvanized anchor just doesn't do it for me. So instead, I cut up some aluminum, did some mill work and bolted together a box anchor. It is about the same size as the small slide anchor which is recommended for boats up to 30'. Keep in mind, we will not over night on the boat, it is strictly a day boat and will anchor at a beach or sand bar.

The frame is made from 3/8" aluminum x 2.5" wide. The base box is 11" square and has four flutes bolted to it that are made from 1/4" x 4" aluminum. Total weight as it sits here is just under 8 lbs. I will run a few feet of chain to help it set, but am looking forward to testing it later this week. So far my only modification is I want to add a piece of 1/2" aluminum rod in the middle to tie the front and back together for additional strength. extra holes are already drilled.

The best part is I got to spend time in the shop with the press, mill and work bench.

Brian
My "Do it yourself" re-build thread: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...86-272-ls.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]504916[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]504917[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Home made anchor-dsc01408.jpg   Home made anchor-dsc01409.jpg  
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Good Idea but I would think the missing weight will end up a problem. Don't use box anchors so I'm not positive but that would be my guess. Looks real good though Brian. Hope it works.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I like your idea and size! As for weight it should be fine as long as the teeth dig into the sand. **** I keep my boat in place with a 50's style 12 lb anchor and works fine for the lakes Im on. I also made my own "sand point" anchor. The latest version I made a slide hammer on the top of it for easy setting. I'll get a couple photos tonight.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The weight of the chain should hold the rope down allowing the anchor to drag and the teeth to dig in. I do not think the box anchor works by weight, as long as it weighs enough for the teeth to start sinking in. Either way, I will find out! If it is too light, I will make the center bar out of brass. 1" dia. to 1.5" dia brass will add 2.5 to 5.5 lbs to the assembly! Either that or a chunk of steel if I do not want to use the brass.

The first anchor that we fabricated weighed more, but did not hold as the flute area was too small.

Besides, I boat in fresh water and we all know fresh water is less dense than salt water!
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is the first sand point I made. Tie a rop to it and push it into the sand.

The second one I made, (currently use) I made a slide hammer on the top of it for pounding it into the sand. Way ezer then trying to push the old one into the sand.

They both hold my boat all day at the sand bar.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Last boat I bought for parts had a cinderblock tied to a ski rope in the bow. I would call that making an anchor on a budget. 22 foot Sea Ray by the way.
P.S.- If you want to know where he spent his savings, I found a hundred pack of condoms in the passenger storage compartment.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by spazboz
Last boat I bought for parts had a cinderblock tied to a ski rope in the bow. I would call that making an anchor on a budget. 22 foot Sea Ray by the way.
P.S.- If you want to know where he spent his savings, I found a hundred pack of condoms in the passenger storage compartment.
Those would be his budget polyform inflatable fenders. lol
Old 07-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

awesome, I love DIY projects that save money! keep us posted on how well they work
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by spazboz
I've seen pontoon boats roll up in our main cove and toss a chunk of steel i-beam over the front.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think weight is key with the box anchor, I have one from slide anchor and love it. It is heavy and bulky but it's worth it when it holds me and 2 other boats.

I like your idea of using aluminum to cut weight but you will probably definitely want to go with the chain so that it drags flat and bites. I always thought that adding chain on my box anchor would make for a killer anchor, but that's just much weight and space. Looks real good too, being your in a 4' sandbar you could easily just stand on it to get it to grab.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.