another day another problem >

another day another problem

Notices

another day another problem

Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another day another problem

Hey guys another question for you all. So got the boat running perfect netter than ever last weekend. On my way home she stalled out i popped the hatch and it was puking gas out of the carb. So that pointed at a bad float. I ordered a new qjet from jet performance, put it on last night, now i am having trouble getting everything right again. I took it out ladt night and when i tried to get on plane i am getting a miss along with some spark knock that i have never jeard before. Also i have no power. It moves up to at most 2000 rpm and then nothing. Im wondering if maybe cause of the old carb i ruined a few plugs and the timing is a lil off. When i first put the new carb on i didnt mess with anything and set the carb exactly to the old ones settings, im stumpped and its killin me every time i fix one thing its something else the boat is now 90 percent brand new lol. So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and if ur on lake st clair and could help i would pay with cash or beerfor some help lol
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

can you give some info like what engine and what carb,also a picture of it if you can post it.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

first question is how comfortable are you working on carbs? my first guess would be that the new one has different jets, metering rods, power piston spring as well as possibly different secondary metering rods and air flap tension. the Qjet is endlessly adjustable but if it is way off to start it will run like crap. first thing would be to open up the old one and use the jets, rods and springs in the new one. also check to make sure the float level is not too low. Oh, also put new plugs in as the old ones are likely junk after flooding it.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not very experienced with carbs yet lol was hoping to rebuild and learn on my old one this off-season. I was hoping the new carb would avoid me ripping apart the old one. I am definitely replacing the pkugs after work i should have done that yesterday, i guess i was hoping the old ones which are only 2 weeks old were still good. My motor is a 327 chevy 1968 bored .030 over vortec 906 heads aluminum performer intake, como cams marine 262 cam, qjet mv4 carb from jet performance. Thru hull exhaust. The motor has about 10 hrs on its rebuild. I dont know how to post pics sorry
Old 08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You are in Mt Clemens. Plenty of shops around to set that carb up for you. You need alot of experience to set one up properly. Also will need a vacume gauge to make it easier. Not worth ruining a day on the water. spend a few bucks.
Steve
Old 08-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another day another problem, I thought somebody was posting about ny boat! I have had similar results with my 350's and carb issues also. One ran up to 2000 and then would just loose big power if I opened carb anymore, like secondaries were running dry. Other old carb would run fine up to 2000 rpm and then it would start popping. Definately issues with the secondaries, but not sure why one the new carb.

Check secondary metering rods, wonder what they are. Will be a two letter code stamped on them. Remove flame arrestor and right between the rear secondaries is a small screw. Remove that and the brass piece it hold on will lift out. Hanging from it will be the secondary metering rods. See what they are, I can compare them to what I have run, our motors sound similar except mine is a newer roller.

Brian
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change your plugs