Notices

Alignment issues....

Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment issues....

Ok guys here it goes. I removed a 502 engine and replaced with a 572. I changed the inner transom ring and gimbal while the engine was out. Everything bolted up just fine when putting the gimbal back and who ever put the original did a great job as everything would only fit one way and was very precise. I dropped the motor in but I put in two of the bolts on the front fixed mount. These are not adjustable btw. When I checked the alignment I notice the rear of the engine is out of alignment by about an 1/8th to a 1/4" in alignment not up and down but left and right! Any ideas on this before I pull the engine again. I was thinking that maybe i should have torqued the rear down before the front as this may have caused the issue. What does everyone think.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Well first off let me ask, are you aware that the gimble bearing can pivot within the race, you can actually move the bearing itself by tilting it up and down or left or right, the bearing is rounded inside. So if by chance you knocked it one way or the other, it might seem that its out of wack. I have done this whole motor alignment thing from scratch, when I switched to offshore style mounts. If that's not it, let us know and I've got some more tricks up my sleeve. I answered a similar thread and that's what it ended up being.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506024[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Alignment issues....-bearing-outline.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Capt Jack. That was the first thing I checked and it was out a little. I was able to get it back right which did help and now the this in only out a small bit but still too much to allow the tool to slide into the coupler. What else do you have for me. I am eager to get this thing lined up and fired up.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Darn I was hoping that was it. The thing I did when I set mine up was, I did the back first, because I figured once you have the rear 2 bolts in, that baby don't move left or right. Then it was just a matter of figuring out if the front needed to go up or down. I had it in the ball park so my up and down movement in the front was minimal. Got the tool to slide in and out like butter. But it sounds like yours is a little different. Hopefully someone else can chime in here and give a few more ideas.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Registered

thanks Capt. I am gonna loosen the front up and support with a jack and then reset the back, so on so forth then do the front again and check it out. the common denominator here has been with everyone I have talked to is to do the back first. I guess there is just a touch of play in that area that can cause an issue. i don't see how this thing could be out due to the gimbal and inner transom bracket?!
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Do you have the springs & fiber washers on both sides correctly? if not the engine will be tilted slightly & cause it to be off center. Just a thought. Randy
Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done thousands of engine aligjnments. Assuming you can get the tool all the way in, take a rubber mallet and hit it on all four sides. This will position the bearing in the proper place. You should be able to move the bar in and out with two fingers. Apply a thin layer of grease on the end of the tool and carefully slide it in and pull it right back out. You will be able to see the marks from the splines in the grease and this will tell you exactly where their may be a tight spot.
Steve
Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Steve,

I can get the tool all the way into the bearing and it just hits right face of the coupler and will not go in. Do you think the bearing could still be shifted some causing this issue?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

if it hitting the side, give the SIDE of the tool a thump. the bearing is probably twisted a tiny bit.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just throwing an idea out there, is the inner transom plate torqued properly? Or is there any difference between the old & new transom plate? Just trying to help. Randy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.