Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Engine troubles.... 502 MAG mpi. (early gen VI) >

Engine troubles.... 502 MAG mpi. (early gen VI)

Notices

Engine troubles.... 502 MAG mpi. (early gen VI)

Old 08-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine troubles.... 502 MAG mpi. (early gen VI)

I have a problem that I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with. Yesterday my wife and I had been running the boat for about 20 min with varying speeds, everything was running great when all of a sudden my water temp shot up and my oil pressure dropped to 0 and I had an engine alarm kit on. I shut the boat down immediately and checked everything. Engine smelled HOT and temp gauge read 230 degrees. I ended up getting towed back to the launch and towed it home to my folks house. When I got there I hooked up the hose and started the engine. It fired right up and the oil pressure read 30psi on the gauge which is a little lower than normal, but I had to shut down because there was no water coming out of the exhaust tips!!!!
I pulled the impeller and it looked brand new, but the engine is obviously not getting water.
Do you think if my engine overheated it would have caused the oil pressure to drop? I changed that op sender a couple weeks back and my op has been perfect ever since. I didn't hear any noises or anything coming from the engine before I shut down. Also, when I started it on the hose the engine sounded fine??
At first I was convinced I lost the bottom end, however now I am thinking that I might have just overheated. ( probably wishfull thinking) but....
You have any ideas for where I should start? Any idea why the engine wouldn't be getting water if the impeller is fine? Would an overheat cause the op to drop? And lastly, if I had a catastrophic bottom end failure, would there be obvious signs that that is what happened?
Any help,would be GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 08-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Registered

My guess would be you have a blockage at the oil cooler. That is often where impeller pieces wind up if one has failed in the past. This startup might have wedged a piece just right to cause the water flow to stop. You also could have sucked up some seaweed or trash and that is where it stopped and temp blocked the flow to the engine. Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

No oil cooler on this engine..
It is an early gen 6, per fuel cool and mfei 1. This is a rookie question, but where would I check if I sucked something up?

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 08-27-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

are you sure there's no oil cooler? i bet there is. vertical on the front of the motor perhaps? i had some wood chips from the chelan poker run caught in mine last year and i had to back flush the oil cooler.

if it's the vertical style (like mine) it should should be on the FW side of the motor, between the circulation pump and power steering pump. take off the upper and lower hose and see if you can see through the tubes in the cooler. if you have both hoses disconnected, you can put a garden hose sprayer on the top and blow all the crap out of the bottom into the bilge. or, run a coat hanger through the tubes to clear the debris.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Registered

Thanks Ned, I might call you later if I can't find it. I was always under the impression that the early GenVI with the V-Belts didn't have the oil cooler or the cool fuel?

Last edited by MCKILLOP; 08-27-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ALL 502's have an oil cooler! Follow the hoses, you will find it!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MCKILLOP
Thanks Ned, I might call you later if I can't find it. I was always under the impression that the early GenVI with the V-Belts didn't have the oil cooler or the cool fuel?
early Gen VI has VST (vapor separator tank) instead of cool fuel, like mentioned above tho, all have oil coolers

Last edited by nedpoole; 08-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It has an oil cooler for sure. The water hose from the seapump goes in the bottom of it and a hose from the top goes to the Tstat housing.
There are 2 oil lines that run into the side of it.

Pull the bottom hose and reach into the cooler. You can stick your finger in it about 2" and then you you will hit the honnnneycomb like screen.
Any debris larger than about 1/8 inch will collect there. I have to clean one out every couple years. I have water pressure guages and can tell when it starts to clog.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Registered

Yes, I found the oil cooler. Feel sort of stupid for thinking there wasn't one there. However, the oil cooler is NOT the problem. I had the oil filter cut open and drained it into a drain pan and it looked like I was panning for gold.LOL I Looks like catastrophic bottom end failure which sucks, but at the same time its a perfect opportunity to make it 540!!! Engien is getting hauled out next week.