Notices

Idiot alarm help

Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idiot alarm help

Port side idiot alarm is intermittently beeping like every 15 seconds, what is causing it?

Brand new 502 ci engines with fuel injected Whipple's and mefi 4a's. I know the computer has nothing to do with the idiot alarm but I just added that to say that all new wiring on the engines, and all new sensors. The only thing wired to the sensors is water temp and oil pressure, no drive lube sensor. The dash light and alarm is old, didn't replace it wight the engine work.

Last time out I disconnected the wire from the water temp sensor and it still kept beeping intermittently, I thought that if I took the wire off it would beep consistently or not at all??? I couldn't easily reach the oil pressure wire to take that off. Both gauges are fine, water temp around 130 and oil pressure around 70-75.

Any advice???

Thanks guys!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the sending units for the warning horn are seperate from the gage senders,i have replaced several of the oil pressure senders .if you disconect the wire from the sender the alarm will no londer sound.hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Registered

Mike thanks for the reply. Since I ran all the wiring and installed the sensors when I assembled the engines I thought when something like this happened I'd know exactly what to look for and how to fix it...well I know what to look for and where...but apparently not how to fix it!

I took the wire off the sender for the water temp and it still beeps, so you're saying do the same for the oil psi and if the sensor is faulty it should stop? Any suggestions if it still continues?
Old 08-30-2013, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

There are separate senders for alarm from the gauge. Both oil and water alarms have a tan wire with a blue tracer to them. Take them off one at a time and see if the problem goes away. I also have replaced quite a few of the oil pressure switches.( the small one)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Registered

Thanks Jamie. So you are both indicating a high probability that the oil psi sender is faulty, makes sense since I didn't check that one. I'll do that and see what happens.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,811 Likes on 901 Posts

The sender grounds itself through the threads. If you used sealer, it could be stopping it from grounding completely.
Also if one of teh tan/blue alarm sender wires grounds out, it will set off the alarm. If you don't have the lube sensor wires attached, it could be making contact with a ground source.
Otherwise what was said above.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff, I'll check the drive lube wire to see where that is, although I think I sealed the end off wi shrink tube when wiring everything up. Also I know I didn't use thread sealer, so that should be the problem...I'm think faulty sensor.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i am willing to bet it is the oil sender!they are cheep and prone to failure.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i am willing to bet it is the oil sender!they are cheep and prone to failure.
That goes with anything merc makes is pron to fail .....lol
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered

Fixed my brothers over the weekend doing the same thing. It was the oil alarm sensor located behind intake manifold not the large one on the port side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.