Question on electric fuel pump

Notices

Question on electric fuel pump

Old 09-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on electric fuel pump

I was wondering I have a Holley race fuel pump on my single engine 496 and it does well except for extended idle, it will get hot and shut down, and when it cools it fires back up. The main question I have is I just wonder if this pump could supply enough fuel for two stock 454's. That would be awesome if it would work, I am not a real big fan of mechanical pumps and would be nice to just keep one as a spare.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 AM
Registered

Stock 454's would probably work best with a mechanical pump on each one. Since you say you don't like them, then it might be a solution to put return style regulators on there to keep the pumps happy. I personally think 1 pump for 2 engines is a really bad idea. I'm assuming you do have 2 pumps already in use and I can't tell by your post if you have 2 engines or one on your boat.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have two boats the 496 is on single application with race pump. Reworking the other boat just looking at options. Weird my 1993 32 magnum came with a gen 4 and a gen 5 motor one has a fuel pump boss the other is on water pump shaft. The previous boat owner is original owner said never changed any motors, kinda weird that baja would do that, but now that im replacing stringers and bulkheads, not real pleased with alot of baja workmanship.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i ran 2 350's off a single holley red pump. never any fuel starvation.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

I would guess there's something wrong with your pump. It should not get hot and shut off for any reason other then something is wrong. Do you have a relay to run the pump on full voltage?

As for one pump for two motors, I wouldn't do that. If you lose the pump, you lose both motors. No "get home" motor.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by blefever
I would guess there's something wrong with your pump. It should not get hot and shut off for any reason other then something is wrong. Do you have a relay to run the pump on full voltage?

As for one pump for two motors, I wouldn't do that. If you lose the pump, you lose both motors. No "get home" motor.
What's wrong with getting stuck out in the middle of a big lake, like Lake Huron for hours in water so deep your 150' of anchor line isn't even close to touching, you have sense of adventure.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
What's wrong with getting stuck out in the middle of a big lake, like Lake Huron for hours in water so deep your 150' of anchor line isn't even close to touching, you have sense of adventure.
You might run out of beer
Old 09-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trent77969
I have two boats the 496 is on single application with race pump. Reworking the other boat just looking at options. Weird my 1993 32 magnum came with a gen 4 and a gen 5 motor one has a fuel pump boss the other is on water pump shaft. The previous boat owner is original owner said never changed any motors, kinda weird that baja would do that, but now that im replacing stringers and bulkheads, not real pleased with alot of baja workmanship.
is this the blue pump,reb pump or the quiet chrome and black pump..if its the chrome and black pump then its the pump...holly had a bad batch of them,,the motors case's were machined out of round causing chafing and the motor would get hot to were you would hurn your hand if you touch it..if this is the case call holly and tell them you have a bad fp and see if they will replace it..if you have to buy a new one buy the mallory one..that one qwont screw up..
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

+1 on the Mallory, it also has higher lift and is marine rated.