Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
First time winterizing questions ...AGAIN... :o) >

First time winterizing questions ...AGAIN... :o)

Notices

First time winterizing questions ...AGAIN... :o)

Old 10-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool First time winterizing questions ...AGAIN... :o)

So now that I have the list of "what to do's" I will winterize my powerplay this weekend,
questions are what type/brand of gearcase oil is best to use and how much oil will I need to replace it in my bravo 1 drive?
2ed, its a 330 HP 454, what type/brand & weight is recommened, and is it a normal 5 quart or I am guessing more?
generally speaking will 6 gallons of RV antifreeze do the job? is their a better option than the RV antifreeze anyone use regular anti freeze?
thanks in advance
steve
Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Bravo 1: Mercury High-Performance Gear Lube, 4 qts including remote resistor (probably buy 5 qts because you will spill some your first time when removing filler tube form drive). . Or another full synthetic 90 weight oil. I run Mobil 1 syn SCH oil in mine. Steve ran the Amsoil a couple years ago, but said it burnt up and didn't like it. You also will need a gear lube pump to pump it in there like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141090400397?lpid=82

Oil type/brand is all over the board. Now Mercury recommends their oil (like everything else) 25W-40. I run conventional 20W-50 oil. Yes 5 qts sounds way to low. Im guessing you will take 7 qts with filter.

As for RV antifreeze, I used 6 gallons on Steves 310 hp 7.4mpi. I pulled all drain plugs from the engine and hoses off raw water pump to drain all water first. Then put them all back in and removed the thermostat. When I had the thermostat out I poured 1 gallon of pink juice into the block directly(you can pour in 2 if you want). Had the old lady start the engine and ran on the antifreeze till it came out of the pipes. Once it came out had her shut it down. Then I reinstalled the thermostat.

you can use regular anti freeze, it just cost more and isn't environmentally friendly and tree huggers will be mad, lol. But then again we only get 1 MPG or less with our boats,
Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Registered

Thanks 92nsx, Wonder if you happen to know what oil filter she would use also, I have bought one of those gravity tanks hooked up to my ear muffs to fill with the RV antifreeze any down side to this method over what you do with thermostat filling? it sounded like you just fill the tank with 6 gallons of anti freeze let the boat run on straight hose water until she warms and thermostat is open the hook the tank full of antifreeze up to the ear muffs and let the 6 gallons flow through the whole system naturally making sure its the pink anti freeze coming out the exhaust then she is done?
Old 10-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I run straight 40sae Castrol or 10-40 Castrol in all my stuff here on the great lakes. I'm all for draining the block and manifolds before winterizing but I don't pull the thermostat. I run hoses from the exhaust to a bucket and recycle the anti freeze back throught the system for a few minutes. the bypass will allow anti-freez to get into the manifolds and your good to go. Mkae sure you treat the fuel before you start so it gets into the system as well. RV anti-freeze works fine if you run it straight.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thanks cig3, do you use and type fogging oil in the carb or just fuel additive?
and ok let me sound really stupid now, how many places and where are all the drains on the motor
to insure I get ALL the water out before I refill with antifreeze?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Drill out the vent hole on the winterizing jug. It needs more air going in when you switch to the AF than that tiny hole can allow to pass.

I also added a Schrader Valve on my 5-gallon jug. Pics here:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...g-496-a-2.html
Old 10-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are (2) plugs in the engine block one on each side just above the oil pan rail in the middle front to back. These are usually plugged with sediment so once you pull them poke them with a small screw drive until you get flow. Depending on the manifols you have there will be on in the bottom and one in the riser, usually brass. Same here make sure you poke them with a screw drive to get flow. If they are hard to get out or not there pull the bottom hose and let drain. This will get 95% of the water out of the engine. As for foggin I use any old ATF to fog my engines. While your runningt the anitfreeze into the motor slowly pour into the carb. you will start to see white smoke out the exhaust. I'd say 3-4 onces does the job. Shut it off and your done.

Originally Posted by powerquest502
Thanks cig3, do you use and type fogging oil in the carb or just fuel additive?
and ok let me sound really stupid now, how many places and where are all the drains on the motor
to insure I get ALL the water out before I refill with antifreeze?
Old 10-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Registered

Thanks again Cig3, I will tackle the job this weekend! getting cold already here in northern Illinois! ;o(
Old 10-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by powerquest502
Thanks again Cig3, I will tackle the job this weekend! getting cold already here in northern Illinois! ;o(
You can go to www.mercruiserparts.com and look up the schematics for your engine package to locate all of the drain plugs.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Merc/quicksilver oil filter part number is 866340Q03. Others will fit also. On Steve's I used a Fram PF5 since it is a little bigger, How ever his oil filter is mounted upside down so the added height doesn't interfere with anything. If yours is like mine and just about the manifold sitting the "normal" way, then only a few select filters will fin in there.

Ya you can start and warm it up on the hose, or just go to the lake/river quick and rip around to get everything warm. Me I just like to take my time, and drink beer so I remove the thermostat. Only 2 bolts and 2 minutes.

And if you want to fog your engine, as posted remove your fuel filter and mix in some 2 stroke oil into it. Something like 1/2 oil 1/2 fuel Merc requirements.

Sh*t, there calling for a wintery mix for us up here in Minnesota already last this weekend!!! Time to get the Ski Doo's ready

Last edited by 92nsx; 10-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.