Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Sunsation Dominator 383 build project >

Sunsation Dominator 383 build project

Notices

Sunsation Dominator 383 build project

Old 02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds healthy! Beautiful sunset and colors on the water. Please let us know how she performs. This has been a great thread.
A great repower and a new truck to pull with...life must be pretty good -
Old 02-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Bob has run it and got a max of 73 indicated on the speedo, I've had similar results the day I took it out. I'll have to get a hold of a GPS. The thing accelerates like it's possessed compared to the stock power. Bob told me it hits an absolute wall around 73 and he's totally right. Around 73 the boat is running between 3/4 and 7/8 throttle, you can push the throttle deeper and nothing happens. The props are definitely dialed in exactly for the stock 6.2s. I'll need to do some prop work to get my good MPH numbers. I was told it takes a while for props to be returned so I'll probably wait until next season, I have had enough waiting for boating! Loving the boat though, she sounds absolutely awesome and is so much more fun to drive. It definitely feels like my buddy's big block Sunsation accelerating. So much fun.

I think I'll be surprising a lot of people on Lake Travis this summer. She already out ran some of my friend's big block boats, I'll definitely make a better show this year.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR

I think I'll be surprising a lot of people on Lake Travis this summer. She already out ran some of my friend's big block boats, I'll definitely make a better show this year.
I'm your Huckleberry. Pick the windiest day you can and we'll run from Starnes to the Gar. I'll give you the move to Emerald Point before I get on plane. That's nearly 1mi head start. You're going to have to drive it.

If you want to try props, call bblades and get Brett to send you a pair from his loaner program. And, there are plenty of gps apps for your smart phone that work just fine.

Last edited by Griswald; 02-17-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Bob has run it and got a max of 73 indicated on the speedo, I've had similar results the day I took it out. I'll have to get a hold of a GPS. The thing accelerates like it's possessed compared to the stock power. Bob told me it hits an absolute wall around 73 and he's totally right. Around 73 the boat is running between 3/4 and 7/8 throttle, you can push the throttle deeper and nothing happens. The props are definitely dialed in exactly for the stock 6.2s. .
I replyed to your post on the Sunny Forum regarding shorties. I have a different setup than you have but I ran into the same issue....the boat hit an absolute wall at 80. As it turns out my boat was rigged with shorties and the standard length lowers were just to low in the water. You may want to call Kyle or Joe and see if the 6.2 boats had a lower X dimension or if it is the same as say a 496HO boat.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob has run it and got a max of 73 indicated on the speedo, I've had similar results the day I took it out. I'll have to get a hold of a GPS. The thing accelerates like it's possessed compared to the stock power. Bob told me it hits an absolute wall around 73 and he's totally right. Around 73 the boat is running between 3/4 and 7/8 throttle, you can push the throttle deeper and nothing happens. The props are definitely dialed in exactly for the stock 6.2s. I'll need to do some prop work to get my good MPH numbers. I was told it takes a while for props to be returned so I'll probably wait until next season, I have had enough waiting for boating! Loving the boat though, she sounds absolutely awesome and is so much more fun to drive. It definitely feels like my buddy's big block Sunsation accelerating. So much fun.

I just had cutting edge redo my props, had a bent blade, they added cup, and labbed them. Took a week and a half total. That's including shipping back and forth, they turned out real nice reasonably priced as well. They can turn them out sooner if you need. Boat sounds great!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Registered

Captain, what RPMs are you turning when you "hit the wall?" If you were under propped you would be up against the rev limiter.
I'm wondering if the stock 6.2 throttle bodies are not the wall you are running into? It would be easy to see if you were still pulling
vacuum at WOT with just an inexpensive vacuum gauge.

I'm not sure how your boat performs compared to my 29' Fountain. I turn 26" Bravo 1 props to 5300 with about 80-100 gallons of gas
and just me onboard. The drives are Bravos with 1:65 ratio gearing. My engines are bone stock 6.2s. If I had your power I'm sure I would need to
move up to at least 28" pitch.

Unless you were running well under 5000 r.p.m.s before your repower I would guess you will be needing different/larger pitch props.

Last edited by Wes Burmark; 02-17-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the dyno sheets for power curve. Rev limiter is 6000 RPM. He 's turning right in the meat of the power curve at 5400-5500 rpm.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SC288
I replyed to your post on the Sunny Forum regarding shorties. I have a different setup than you have but I ran into the same issue....the boat hit an absolute wall at 80. As it turns out my boat was rigged with shorties and the standard length lowers were just to low in the water. You may want to call Kyle or Joe and see if the 6.2 boats had a lower X dimension or if it is the same as say a 496HO boat.
How fast is a 32 with 496HO's?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That speed was on GPS and flat smooth water.

Old 02-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Thanks Bob. I should have looked at the dyno sheet. Definitely not running into the rev limiter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.