Sunsation Dominator 383 build project

Notices

Sunsation Dominator 383 build project

Old 11-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sunsation Dominator 383 build project

Hey guys,

There has been a lot of talk about 6.2s lately and upgrades, so I figured I'd share some details about mine now that it is finally coming together. I've been working with Bob Lloyd at Full Throttle Marine and we're pretty excited to get this thing together.

My boat was originally with 6.2s and clogged injectors caused them to lean out then blow a chunk of piston loose. A big bummer, but I think this should be an exciting upside about having to do rebuilds. If you haven't had your injectors flow tested recently, you might want to think about it! Wish someone told me!

The builds:

Bored out to 383
Forged pistons
Custom cam from Bob Madera
Comp roller rockers
Edelbrock intake
Kept the Lunati crank
Getting rid of the captain's call and putting on
GLM Exhaust manifolds with stainless risers

The first engine is finished and on the dyno. Bob is going to save all the data and send the computer off for tuning tomorrow. So hopefully we'll know soon how much power we're going to get. Aiming for at least 400 and hopefully a good bit more.

Here's some pics and a vid:

http://www.austinboatforums.com/cgi-...num=1384826827
Old 11-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Hey guys,

There has been a lot of talk about 6.2s lately and upgrades, so I figured I'd share some details about mine now that it is finally coming together. I've been working with Bob Lloyd at Full Throttle Marine and we're pretty excited to get this thing together.

My boat was originally with 6.2s and clogged injectors caused them to lean out then blow a chunk of piston loose. A big bummer, but I think this should be an exciting upside about having to do rebuilds. If you haven't had your injectors flow tested recently, you might want to think about it! Wish someone told me!

The builds:

Bored out to 383
Forged pistons
Comp roller rockers
Edelbrock intake
Kept the Lunati crank

The first engine is finished and on the dyno. Bob is going to save all the data and send the computer off for tuning tomorrow. So hopefully we'll know soon how much power we're going to get. Aiming for at least 400 and hopefully a good bit more.

You'll get the 400+ ...no problem...but more importantly you'll get 450-500 # of torque!!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Hey guys,

The builds:

Bored out to 383
Forged pistons
Comp roller rockers
Edelbrock intake
Kept the Lunati crank

Why so lean? Sounds stupid to not fatten the entire curve initially so you don't hurt brand new motors.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Registered

Have to send off the computers to get that done which is getting done tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be real interested in this. Can I ask why GLM manifolds?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Registered

That was just a bit of luck. I couldn't quite swing doing full headers and it turned out, the boat already had the GLM manifolds. They do flow better than stock, but more importantly the risk of reversion is much lower so we were able to go with a larger cam.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much gain are you hoping to see in mph and are you upgrading props? I've got a $100 that says Ole 2 Buckets will walk that ass.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is with the stock computer. It is the ECM555 that I cannot program. We are gathering data to send it to Mark Boos to reprogram. Yeh it's crazy lean. That is a good thing. It means we're flowing a lot more air than it did stock. Now we just need to get the fuel to it.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to derail but how easy is this to do to a 350 mag mpi with mefi3 computer. I assume whole new rotating assembly, what else?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griswald
How much gain are you hoping to see in mph and are you upgrading props? I've got a $100 that says Ole 2 Buckets will walk that ass.
I'm no bench racer, so when it's done I'll post whatever it does. No point in guessing. My goals were to build an extremely reliable engine with solid quality parts that would make quite a bit more power than stock. Not looking to be the fastest guy on the lake, just a faster guy on the lake. I was pretty happy with my performance before.

I don't think I heard how your new setup turned out. Pretty happy with it? I knew she flew before your did your rebuild so I'd imagine it's really good now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.