Notices

JL Audio vs. Wet Sounds

Old 01-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
I'm looking for a controller for LEDs to have blink to the music or just turn them on. But I not want them to be Blue or clear. Everything I find is an RGB kit. I just don't want all those colors ... Any suggestions?
Those regular RGB controllers have a lot to be desired IMO. Most appear to just flash, not actually follow the music beat.

I made this light bar a couple yrs ago.
http://youtu.be/IpuQCw5s5iQ

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-31-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Those regular RGB controllers have a lot to be desired IMO. Most appear to just flash, not actually follow the music beat.

Not true I have this $16 chinese POS in my boat, I have three 15 meter strips attached to it all around the boat under the gunnels and it follows the beat of the music nearly perfectly.
http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...sic+controller

See for yourself in 1080 HD!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTyHufLVIfE
Old 01-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Shoulda been more clear on my reasoning. My controller has 3 outputs; lows, mids, and highs. So instead of the whole strip flashing to the beat from a single output level but changing in colors, it breaks up the input signal into the 3 different output signals. Just connect the 2 leads from whichever set of lights you want to go with 1 of the 3 outputs of the controller. The input comes from the 3mm jack from the iPod, phone, or HU. I couldn't find if the outputs on your type split the signal to the different levels, or just control different colors, I kinda assumed the latter and that wasn't what I was wanting.

My light bar is made up from a 6' piece of acrylic tube, with 3 sides of a square tube divided into 5 sections (lows, mids, high, mids, lows) for even viewing regardless of viewing direction
The 2 outer sections of my light bar is connected to the 'low' output
2 mid set sections to the 'mid' output
1 center section is the 'highs'

The controller has a sensitivity knob that adjust all 3 levels together, but I wanted to be able to tweak the bass lights a little more, so I bought a second controller for the bass lights only. That video was made right after I made the light bar and was playing around a little with the sensitivity knobs.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 01-31-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hands down Memphis is what I run in cars and boat. Jl would be next choice. Both are rated at 9.9 to 10.2 volts for power rating unless most other junk is 14.4 and charging system never sees that all the time. So a 1000 watt jl or Memphis makes more power when running. So partying in the cove when key off batty drops down to 11.2 or less and you still rockin it's ass off. I've got two Memphis belles 1400 for sale if interested
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shoulda been more clear on my reasoning. My controller has 3 outputs; lows, mids, and highs. So instead of the whole strip flashing to the beat from a single output level but changing in colors, it breaks up the input signal into the 3 different output signals. Just connect the 2 leads from whichever set of lights you want to go with 1 of the 3 outputs of the controller. The input comes from the 3mm jack from the iPod, phone, or HU. I couldn't find if the outputs on your type split the signal to the different levels, or just control different colors, I kinda assumed the latter and that wasn't what I was wanting.

My light bar is made up from a 6' piece of acrylic tube, with 3 sides of a square tube divided into 5 sections (lows, mids, high, mids, lows) for even viewing regardless of viewing direction
The 2 outer sections of my light bar is connected to the 'low' output
2 mid set sections to the 'mid' output
1 center section is the 'highs'

The controller has a sensitivity knob that adjust all 3 levels together, but I wanted to be able to tweak the bass lights a little more, so I bought a second controller for the bass lights only. That video was made right after I made the light bar and was playing around a little with the sensitivity knobs.
can you post some pics I'm interested to see your setup, I am happy with mine but always good to see a different way of doing things.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the controller or light bar other than 4 videos I took at nite in operation. Boat is at marina 2 hrs away, and I can't think of the brand name off hand, to google the info on the controller. I usually try to check on it a couple times during winter to make sure all is still ok, so I'll try remember to bring it home to grab some pics of it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am looking at replacing the speakers in my boat, I am going with 6.5's, and have heard great things about wet sounds. Do they really outperform other brands to the amount that people make them out to? I am looking at there led lighted version to compliment my other led lighting, and trying to decide which set to get. I am deciding between XS-65-RGB which are 60W RMS 120W peak for $199.99, or XS-650-RGB which are 100W RMS 200W peak for $324.99. I have an Audiobahn A2002T amp for my speakers which is 400W Max, Intake 2-Channel, and I plan to run 2 sets of which ever speaker I go with eventually. I have 4 8" subs in the boat as well, and they are ran off of their own amp an Audiobahn A8002T which is 1600W Max, Intake series 2-Channel. I have a 24ft Baja Outlaw. I plan to grab 1 set now to mount up high in the front of the cockpit, the current set up has 6X9's in boxes just above floor height, so I am going to remove boxes from the boat and replace the 6X9's with these mounted in the gunnels as high as possible. Then later buy an additional set and mount either where the current speakers are under the back seat, or mount them up higher in the gunnels as well. I am leaning toward the XS-65's as they are a significant amount cheaper, and not sure if the extra money for the XS-650's is worth it for my application. I am looking for nice loud quality sound which is why I am looking at wetsounds to boost my system. What do you guys think?

XS-65-RGB https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-65-RGB.html

XS-650-RGB https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-650-RGB.html
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just looking for a set up to control light for highs,mids,and liows for the light.... I'm thinking about using a crossover ....
Old 02-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ealesh33
Hey guys I am looking at replacing the speakers in my boat, I am going with 6.5's, and have heard great things about wet sounds. Do they really outperform other brands to the amount that people make them out to? I am looking at there led lighted version to compliment my other led lighting, and trying to decide which set to get. I am deciding between XS-65-RGB which are 60W RMS 120W peak for $199.99, or XS-650-RGB which are 100W RMS 200W peak for $324.99. I have an Audiobahn A2002T amp for my speakers which is 400W Max, Intake 2-Channel, and I plan to run 2 sets of which ever speaker I go with eventually. I have 4 8" subs in the boat as well, and they are ran off of their own amp an Audiobahn A8002T which is 1600W Max, Intake series 2-Channel. I have a 24ft Baja Outlaw. I plan to grab 1 set now to mount up high in the front of the cockpit, the current set up has 6X9's in boxes just above floor height, so I am going to remove boxes from the boat and replace the 6X9's with these mounted in the gunnels as high as possible. Then later buy an additional set and mount either where the current speakers are under the back seat, or mount them up higher in the gunnels as well. I am leaning toward the XS-65's as they are a significant amount cheaper, and not sure if the extra money for the XS-650's is worth it for my application. I am looking for nice loud quality sound which is why I am looking at wetsounds to boost my system. What do you guys think?

XS-65-RGB https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-65-RGB.html

XS-650-RGB https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/XS-650-RGB.html
The XS-650s have a very unique sound that separates them from JL or any other Marine speaker. Yes, they're well worth the money......
Old 02-20-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Man I LOVE what you have done. Can you please let us know what controller you have? I have literally tried every single RGB controller I can find.

I have yet to see one that has 3 different audio level outputs also while having a headphone jack audio input.

I know you mentioned you aren't near your boat, but would you have a receipt of what unit you bought online?

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.