Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
thoughts on using a mechanical fuel psi gauge? >

thoughts on using a mechanical fuel psi gauge?

Notices

thoughts on using a mechanical fuel psi gauge?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they make a adapter for those, So you do not have fuel up to the dash. Just like inside cars. It has fuel up to the isolator, then has antifreeze up to the dash where the gauge is.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...FatcMgodFDsAag

Last edited by kickin32; 01-30-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kickin32
they make a adapter for those, So you do not have fuel up to the dash. Just like inside cars. It has fuel up to the isolator, then has antifreeze up to the dash where the gauge is.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/at...FatcMgodFDsAag
now that's not a bad deal there. but I can buy a new gauge for less. I cant decide on this one.... I am thinking a new gauge which sucks because this one is new in the box
Old 01-30-2014, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
There's quite a few wires back behind the dash don't you think? I guess it depends on your motor as far as fuel pressure gauges. If your running big ci blown motors it more important to monitor than a stock 454.
Don't know if you know this but boat manufactures install mechanical gauges on new boats. New boats go through a coast guard inspection. If its good enough for the coast guard and boat manufacturers it's good enough for me. As far as wires in the dash yes they have alot I know I've completely rewired boats and will say this if you have an electrical fire your probably not gonna put it out don't think it matters if you have fuel or not.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

auto meter makes an isolater so you do not have fuel all the way up to the dash area plus its a a lot cleaner look i just installed a manual gauge off of my fuel rail you have to have the hatch up to see it but i thought it was a lot easier
Old 02-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Has anyone ever attempted to put a sail on a performance boat? I guess that's what I'm gonna have to do so I can get around.
Actually, with my track record on motors the last two years I thought about looking into this..... LOL!

I run mechanical gauges on my separator housings in the bilge. Mainly for tuning and trouble shooting though. Oh, also twin small block setup, so no high dollar stuff!
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If you stick with a low pressure carb set up I wouldn't see a problem so long as everything is properly attached, however if you get your fuel injection set up going & have high pressure fuel going up to the dash I would want proper line & fittings as recommended by gauge manufacturer. Randy
Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

electrical is the way to go.