1987 454 stock motor tinkering >

1987 454 stock motor tinkering

Notices

1987 454 stock motor tinkering

Old 02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 454 stock motor tinkering

This winter is unusally long for some reason econ is just as slow and i have way too much time to daydream. So i picked up a new edelbrock carb and intake on black friday for under 500....50 off for a purchase and free shipping..what a mooch. Big blocks are new to me and doing some snooping around i found one can put a very cheap cam in for peanut's....literally. Since i will have the intake off why would i not spend another 140 and drop in this cam....http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K03072/ Here's the big question that cam is so dirt cheap by itself i feel obligated almost but i dont want to pull the heads..thing's will get out of control i know how i work...will the current spring be ale to operate with that cam that's the big question..Leak down test down and compresion the motor is in very good shape.

As to the exhaust it has stainless manifolds and thru the hull the rest of the engine is bone stock...400 hours Acutally not sure but i like 1.0 a bit better...i know the limitation's of the heads it just so cheap if i can get by with the stock spring's.

1. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1300/
2. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K03072/ missed the lsa...out

Last edited by Pliant; 02-05-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Any time you change a cam you should change the springs to match the cam.
When looking for a cam you need to have a Lobe Separation of 112 or 114. One of those cams was 106.
You are not going to see much gain just by changing a cam and intake. IMO save your money for gas and beer.
Also I would never consider a flat tappet cam. No much chance of wiping out a lobe and that will take out the engine.
Good luck!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:18 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is yours a stock round port or square port motor? if round port, send intake back and start over...the 2nd cam is drag strip cam. won't idle, will suck water in from exhaust.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
is yours a stock round port or square port motor? if round port, send intake back and start over...the 2nd cam is drag strip cam. won't idle, will suck water in from exhaust.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ed.../applications/

Ports dont match on that intake?

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...t+heads#p18448

Your are right

Last edited by Pliant; 02-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

The cam you posted is a car cam and has 106 Lobe sep. It will suck water back into the engine. You really want a 112 or higher lobe sep.
To make any cam upgrades, you need exhaust that has long risers that don't mix water into the exhaust until its near the transom.

A low budget marine cam is a Crane 134242 cam kit.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Just a thought, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cc...make/chevrolet
Old 02-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

What model 454 do you have? Some had the Rectangle port heads, some had the small oval 'peanut' port heads.

The peanut port engines had low 7.9:1 compression. The rect port engines had 8.8 or so compression. Last thing you want is a big cam, low compression combo. It will be a soggy turd.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Just put a big enough blower on it to make up for the low compression. May not live long, but it will run faster than the hot chick back in 10th grade did when you told her you wanted to eat her out untill her head caved in.......
Old 02-08-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

basically what I was saying in my post #3. if 330 lopo motor, search 330 on roids on here. some ideas about getting 400 or more out of this engine. but putting a cam and intake on those heads is a waste of time-money...
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Just put a big enough blower on it to make up for the low compression. May not live long, but it will run faster than the hot chick back in 10th grade did when you told her you wanted to eat her out untill her head caved in.......

Ponder's that thought for a moment......Ok bad ideal........... but it does has some merit...

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
What model 454 do you have? Some had the Rectangle port heads, some had the small oval 'peanut' port heads.

The peanut port engines had low 7.9:1 compression. The rect port engines had 8.8 or so compression. Last thing you want is a big cam, low compression combo. It will be a soggy turd.
The truth i do not know. Marine is very new to me in a sense. Original equipment is 87 454 alpha combo but it blew in 89 and the owner had a new long block put in. This boat was bought last year and i had very little time with it..its a good freinds boat and he is very impulsive he just wanted to get on the water and have fun. I have spotted many issues and noticed some strange thing's..One thru the hull exhaust 24' chrome tubing....stainless exhaust manifolds's..stock carb and intake..very slow to rev..very. Overheat's above 3500 rpm many thing's. The other side of the coin it's a 87 mirage almost pristine it was gargaged the whole time and a local marinia serviced it..so to speak. Were about to restore the thing and i am trying to build a path that make's some sense in term's of cost and yeild.It may have a typical 454 330 hp factory engine or a mag replacement who know at this point i dont have access to the boat.

There are two paths to go down here one... a stock 454 with cast internals or a mag replacemnt..again another path. A true mag and i will know how to play so to speak.. cast internal's well i am figuring that out. Its so easy to play with a short block and gain's, with a big block there's that thing called tourqe and that has ramification's

If it is a mag i know the way to go...If it's a 330 i am palying with low cost and maxium return...ive never played by the rule's nor am i going to start...OSO has been very enlighting for me, to pose question's and get answer's i never thought of....it's is very intresting. As of know i know i can do some slight porting actually grinding and polishing and get 420 ish out of a stock 330...Ohhh then's there's the drive....alpha 1...Or another 1000 and a volvo sx drive (donor boat)...I am anticpating a 330 454 another thousand for the motor and another thousand for the drive...a few days for labor and off to the race's....400+ hp sx drive. As to money 8500 for the boat...10500 with the motor,,,,,,and maybe another 2 grand for a face lift...It should be intresting....i am not one to blow money and pound my chest.....Bust Out Another Thousand....Only if it makes sense.................. phragle now as to her single mother....

Last edited by Pliant; 02-08-2014 at 05:19 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.