Notices

Cockpit Carpet

Old 02-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
www.snapincarpet.com

Corinthian is good stuff. You get what you pay for.
I think that is true to an extent, you have to draw a line somewhere when it comes to specific application, and we all know that often crazy prices are associated with the marine tag with no real reason. For example, I am going to pick up marine carpet from a place other than sapincarpet or corinthian and I am going to pay just shy of $200 for 20oz marine grade carpet to replace all of the carpet in my boat. Now mind you I am just referring to my boats application. To get the equivalent amount through one of those 2 it would cost nearly 3 times as much (to get same type color would have to go with a higher oz carpet). Now keep in mind alot of people just use indoor/outdoor carpet and spend half of what I am going to pay, now yes it isn't going to last as long, can possibly cause an issue for wood, but will give several years of use, and is done frequently without issues. There is also a feel difference as indoor/outdoor is only like 10oz, Which I am glad they sold me the wrong thing so now I can get better carpet. So what about the corinthian or snapincarpet place makes it worth paying that much more money? Now I know you can get custom cut which does posses its on challenges, custom inlays, etc. But I am just looking for a glue in carpet that I cut myself. Also, remember I can replace the carpet with the stuff I am picking up nearly 3 times for the cost of 1 time with the higher 2 brands. Now do I want to replace carpet every few years, no I don't, even though it is a relatively easy project in my boat. However, I also don't believe there is that much of a gap longevity wise, and they will both last way over a few years if taken care of. The carpet that is currently in the boat doesn't appear to be marine, and definitely not high brand marine, and it has been in there for atleast 8 years. I am replacing it cause 1. I want to change the color, 2. it does have a few spots, 3. it doesn't match the cabin carpet, and 4. i made a new speaker panel on the bottom of the back seat that I have to re carpet so just going to do all of it to match which is the main reason I am doing it. Now don't get me wrong, I am sure corinthian and snapincarpet are very quality, and if I had a big fountain, cigarette, etc.. with custom inlays and such that is probably the route I would go. But for my application I think those 2 are overkill for what I need

Last edited by ealesh33; 02-10-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Registered

Sounds like you have it figured out.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Registered

I do and I don't, I have a plan that makes sense to me, but definitely no expert. I was asking what made Corinthians worth so much more?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Registered

IMO, the backing. I'd call some of the companies that sell the brand and ask.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Does anyone know what the "average price" for custom cockpit carpet?
Old 02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Registered

I have used yourautotrim.com twice with great luck. I am currently wrapping all my seat bases with there smoke color carpet. Easy to deal with and great product.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered just using one of the epoxy paints on the floors after the carpet is pulled up, and installing snap in carpet over top of it? I have a fiberglass liner in my Baja's cockpit, and it sure is nice to be able to take the carpet out and hang it up to dry if we get caught in the rain or the kids are dragging water in with them while swimming. I pulled out all of the glue-in carpet from the cabin because it was smelling pretty funky after years of getting wet. You have already done most of the work after pulling out the old carpet and sanding it down. You can usually find a carpet shop nearby who can sew on bindings around the carpet, or alternately you can do what a buddy did with his boat and just cut it to exact size and let it lay in there with some of that no-skid padding like you put under area rugs.

Just a suggestion. I personally hate glued-in carpets in boats!