Carb to EFI Swap WORTH IT?

Notices

Carb to EFI Swap WORTH IT?

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
this is totally speaking to me because of my limited mechanical knowledge, I could be driving around all summer lean or rich and have no idea. Heck I could be knocking away and not know it. Your kit sounds great plus I am in Canada, is they type of tuning you describe available remotely? By the way WE KICKED ASS IN HOCKEY
Ya we did!! Yes, remote tuning and tech support is included with the package
Old 02-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

No, it is not worth it!!
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by stimleck
what order would you recommend while still using thru prop exhaust, or is the answer "don't waste your money unless you change the exhaust"?
Honestly, if doing any exhaust mods, is out of the question, and you're gonna run thru hub, I would leave the engine alone. They really were good running engines stock. I would bank the cash. Keep it in a kitty for when and if the engine gets tired, and needs a refresh. At that point, you can make some changes if you feel the need. If you like turn key reliability, and not messing with stuff, its hard to beat a stock mercruiser black engine. With regular maintenance and tune ups, they run nice.

I had a buddy who is one of those guys who struggles with the righty tighty lefty loosey thing. He had a 38FT boat with Twin stock 365HP mag carb engines in his boat. He logged a ton of hours on them, and never had to mess with them. A couple pumps of the throttles, and off he went. The engines had over 900 hours and never had the intake manifold off when he sold it.

On a 26FT Wellcraft bowrider, I am assuming reliability and family style fun is most important. You can throw some power at it, but not so sure thats the boat to invest performance mods into. If i remember right, thats a pretty big 26ft boat, and prob pretty heavy. Once you start adding power, the reliability of the drive may become an issue also.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:15 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
The question of "is it worth it", is really a very broad one. It sounds like your setup is very well dialed in, and you may have no need, or desire, for a safer, better running engine. A lot of people seem to put too much focus on the fuel metering part of the comparison. In reality, the benefits of an efi system are much greater then fuel alone. Here's a few: The ability to run, or tame, a much more aggressive camshaft due to the ability to combat reversion through tuning and maintain driveability through IAC and precise timing control. Got tall gears and huge props, no problem. Unlimited programmable safety's - Inlet air temp climbing 'cause your'e intercooler's not getting enough water: Ecu can start pulling timing as it increases, sound an alarm, and drop the engine into limp mode if the condition persists. Fuel psi drop from plugged filter, etc: Ecu will sound an alarm, adjust fuel delivery to maintain safe AFR, and drop engine to limp mode if required. Got some bad fuel: Knock sensors will pull timing, sound an alarm, and go into limp mode if necessary. Oil pressure, water pressure, oil temp, engine temp, etc.. All fully adjustable to whatever number you're comfortable with.

As far as power levels, in any form of forced induction motor you can safely make more power with EFI, unless you spend a LOT of time on your carb's, and invest in a very sophisticated timing control system. On a basic NA motor, just bolting on an efi system probably won't make more peak hp then a well setup carb, or even as much sometimes. However, if you know what you're doing, and have the equipment, you can maximize cylinder to cylinder fueling and spark, adjust when the injector fires in relation to the position of the piston, and build any form of spark and fuel map you like. This type of tuning will almost always make more power. Even without getting crazy there are ways to find lost power. I was recently helping a very experienced engine builder who was tuning his first set of EFI engine's on his dyno. After a few pulls, he commented that the timing he found for peak power, resulted in a little drop in peak torque; he was still thinking like a carb tuner. I told him to leave the peak power area alone, and adjust the timing only in the peak torque area.. Bingo, same peak power, and more torque. This was on an 800+ hp NA 572. I've never seen an engine that wanted the same timing at peak torque as it does at peak power, or even the same AFR for that matter. Once you've experienced tuning in .25 degrees of timing, and .1 points AFR, you'll never consider carb's being comparable in any way to a good efi system. Wether or not it's "worth it" is totally up to the end user, there are lots of very driveable, reliable carb motors out there as MILD T and others pointed out.

Ok, now i like EFI even more

But still, i will put that money to asd shafts and bigger 5blade props.
This is only looked in point of my view and will say nothing for
generally is efi worth or not.

Like say in my first post, it depends situation.

Low budget man life...
Maybe just maybe there are others too
like the efi conversion but same money
they find better place to put that.

And definedly i will get more speed with new shafts / props
than efi + my old toooo small props.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

alex,can you explain the difference from a high quality ecu like the holley hp and an earlier setup such as a merc 500efi unit.i think some people will read this thread and get the idea that all efi units are created equil and get confused.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Registered

Just make sure you have all your grounds separated. I had some issues with grounding because my batteries were all connected together. I got to a point that I pulled all three EFI systems back off my boat. Now I’m back to carbs. I did find out as they were removing everything that the motor I was having problems with the computer ground was not connected. so I went through a bunch of work for nothing since I already purchased everything to convert to carbs I decided the keep the carb setup. I now have 3 EFI setups for sale in the swap shop section.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.