Notices

Major Oil Leak

Old 02-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not worried about the starter, if it's a starter no big deal, the motor turns over by hand with the exact same resistance on the other. Like I said when I turned it off it was pushing 25 to 30 psi at 600 RPM, 140 degrees. My main concern is this oil leak I am probably going to suck the engine out by the end of the week. Is there any suggestions as far as the oil leak is concerned.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the distributer , put a pre-oiler in the hole and look for the leak ...I would think with having lost three quarts the leak would be obvious...quick
Old 02-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On a Mk IV, the two piece ream main seal is a common culprit for leaks, especially if they managed to put it in backwards - it happens. Likewise, I have seen other "doh!" moves like putting the wrong main galley plugs in the back of the block - the ones with the oil holes that are supposed to go in the front. Either can result in a massive leak. Another place to look is the oil lines and block adapter. Have you made sure that it wasn't pushing it out the breathers or the dipstick tube? Blowby from rings that have not seated can cause this. I guess until you diagnose the issue that is keeping it from turning over you have no other way of observing for a leak than motor's suggestion, and that is not likely to reveal the leak if the culprit is a seal or blowby.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Registered

It's definitely not coming out of the dipstick or breathers, I am dropping the exhaust manifold so I can get access to the starter and bypass to check, and tomorrow pulling the engine.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a quick and easy way to find an oil leak.

Originally Posted by motor
Pull the distributer , put a pre-oiler in the hole and look for the leak ...I would think with having lost three quarts the leak would be obvious...quick
Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Registered

A little update, I had one of those duh moments, neutral safety switch was a fraction out of adjustment. Motor starts and pushes great pressure. Tomorrow will run on the muffs and try and find leak. Thanks for all the help so far
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

brain cramp
Old 02-17-2014, 08:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Control Freak 32
A little update, I had one of those duh moments, neutral safety switch was a fraction out of adjustment. Motor starts and pushes great pressure. Tomorrow will run on the muffs and try and find leak. Thanks for all the help so far
That has happened to me so many times that I naturally jiggle the shifters now by habit...

The kill switch still gets me once in a while though after I clean the boat - duh...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
That has happened to me so many times that I naturally jiggle the shifters now by habit...

The kill switch still gets me once in a while though after I clean the boat - duh...
My Father has a lake house, and a pontoon boat. He told me the engine wouldnt start (outboard). So i go check it out for him. Just crankin like a sob. Boat is on a lift, so i am leaned over like a monkey fiddling with the engine. Checked for spark, no spark. I start digging deeper into it. After about 15 minutes of being upside down, I yell to my father who is sitting at the helm.....

''Dad, is the kill switch fob in place properly??"'

He replies "Uh, wait, Uh no, its on the floor''.

Me "'WTF Dad".

He removed it while cleaning lol
Old 02-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
My Father has a lake house, and a pontoon boat. He told me the engine wouldnt start (outboard). So i go check it out for him. Just crankin like a sob. Boat is on a lift, so i am leaned over like a monkey fiddling with the engine. Checked for spark, no spark. I start digging deeper into it. After about 15 minutes of being upside down, I yell to my father who is sitting at the helm.....

''Dad, is the kill switch fob in place properly??"'

He replies "Uh, wait, Uh no, its on the floor''.

Me "'WTF Dad".

He removed it while cleaning lol
LOL - For some reason I HAVE to remove the FOB when I clean the dash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.