Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful. >

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Notices

Some aftermarket parts really come short on quality, so be careful.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to be able to find the factory / supplier of there parts. i personally feel they are made in china and could be bought for a 1/4 to 1/2 of what they list for. had a set of the 2 piece $500 a set valve covers leak in right after boat was completed and drove to key west. the only thing i can say is they had a booth down there and we told them about it and they pulled them off the display and handed the new ones to us. they said ship them back over the winter and we will send you 2 new sets back. so that was pretty decent of them.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Remember this simple rule of thumb when dealing with aftermarket parts.

1. If it is listed as fitting/ being a direct bolt on replacement part, it WILL fit after extensive modification...

2 If something is labled as "UNIVERSAL", that means it does not fit a damn thing, whether you modify it or not.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bwd
Hardin
Thank You!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Remember this simple rule of thumb when dealing with aftermarket parts.

1. If it is listed as fitting/ being a direct bolt on replacement part, it WILL fit after extensive modification...

2 If something is labled as "UNIVERSAL", that means it does not fit a damn thing, whether you modify it or not.
I once bought a generic crankshaft for an engine so I could get the car on the road and gone. it came in a white box with black letters that said "crankshaft" and then under it said "this crankshaft is not gauranteed to fit anything" talk about a disclaimer!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe CP Performance, Harden Marine, Keith Eickert, and Power Boat Nation Website are owned by the same person. With that said I have always had great service from these companies.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
I would love to be able to find the factory / supplier of there parts. i personally feel they are made in china and could be bought for a 1/4 to 1/2 of what they list for. had a set of the 2 piece $500 a set valve covers leak in right after boat was completed and drove to key west. the only thing i can say is they had a booth down there and we told them about it and they pulled them off the display and handed the new ones to us. they said ship them back over the winter and we will send you 2 new sets back. so that was pretty decent of them.
Those covers suck period !!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
And as Americans, if we don't like china goods we need to be willing to pay triple what we already pay for these parts.
My wife chooses to work during the day and stay active. She works at an American outfit in America that builds brake assemblies for everything but automotive and aircraft. They buy rough castings from US manufacturers, do all their own machining and fabrication of the other parts, buy the seals American, and hire only American people. Their business keeps on growing. They beat the total cost of buying ROC components. They are taking business away from ROC, Korea, Japan, etc.

5 years ago she was asked if she would mind being on the team of people the company would send to customers to help with any issues that would come up. The commitment would be leave at a moment's notice on a chartered flight. She said yes after some conversation with me. They have yet to make one of those flights.

I do not buy into the 3 times the cost for American made. We are way smarter than ROC, Korea, etc. Her company hires and applies smart people. They don't screw around with lazy "privileged" people. Those people are led out the door once discovered. That's where all companies should be. ROC can't compete.

As for Harden, I've bought pieces from them. Now days, I have my kid make my general parts. I am guaranteed perfection. Most of the junk I see out there is sad. The difference between original hardware on PV vs new hardware on the shelves is very sad indeed.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Registered

Well no need to hide here that's for sure if it was us I can only apologize at this point about any inconvenience any of our products may have caused you. Bottom line NO EXCUSES I cannot ever and I mean ever remember telling a customer that he was stuck with any stocking product from us. Had you not been happy we would have gladly taken a stocking item back.

Now for the facts we are human it makes us good and flawed at the same time. But we invest more into manufacturing and new product in this industry than any other company besides Mercury. We do not stand for poor quality and we fight to build the best products anywhere. We build all of our stainless from 316L and don't short cut like others. We also laser machine all exhaust flanges so either we missed something or ??? But I'm unaware of a current issue.

Again if we wronged you I only wish you would have stepped up front and asked for a manager or owner and let them rectify an issue. As for playing on a computer I thought that was cute so let me be clear. We did have one person on staff an engineer designing a product for another giant manufacture in the show and we were doing it on the spot. NO ONE offers that service.

As for the big shiny displays yep we load a 53' semi full of all of our wares and travel thousands of miles just so we can share them with those that appreciate our products. Why because were committed I sure didn't see a single other parts vendor their showing there wares? Hmmm why is that.

If I can help you or anyone with any of our products please please don't hesitate to call I promise we will do everything in our power to provide you the products and quality you expect and deserve.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hullofjustis
As for the covers there are numerous threads here on OSO about them. We inherited the problems when we got the products from the original Keith Eickert. They were originally made in China back 7-8 years ago when Keith Eickert originally designed them. Since then we have moved all of the tooling to the USA and these products are 100% Made in America. We produce over 3000 products today and have done our best to fill the holes of boaters needs as numerous brands and products are going by the way side. One things for sure we are doing everything possible to take care of our loyal customers. We didn't get here over night and were going to be here a long time. We look forward to bringing you the best products anywhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 575cat
Those covers suck period !!!!!!!
Mine have been on and off too many times by me and the builder should not need to carry a bottle of DAWN in the bilge with you , looking for 1 piece covers .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.