Riser Gaskets. Restricted or unrestricted >

Riser Gaskets. Restricted or unrestricted

Notices

Riser Gaskets. Restricted or unrestricted

Old 03-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Riser Gaskets. Restricted or unrestricted

I am changing out my Manifolds and Risers on a 5.0Mercruiser IO Alpha Drive. I see that most offer 2 gaskets plus a closed cooling block off plate. I am not in any way referring to the block off plate for closed cooling. Question is what is everyone using. The 4 slotted one that is unrestricted or the 2 slotted one with 2 small holes in the 2 other sides which makes it partially restricted. FWIW I boat in South florida. Another thought is switching to Dry joint Manifolds. They 2 offer a restricted and unrestricted gasket. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

Chris
Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

dry joint is totally restricted. hence the term dry joint. but it really makes little diff which you use.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
I am changing out my Manifolds and Risers on a 5.0Mercruiser IO Alpha Drive. I see that most offer 2 gaskets plus a closed cooling block off plate. I am not in any way referring to the block off plate for closed cooling. Question is what is everyone using. The 4 slotted one that is unrestricted or the 2 slotted one with 2 small holes in the 2 other sides which makes it partially restricted. FWIW I boat in South florida. Another thought is switching to Dry joint Manifolds. They 2 offer a restricted and unrestricted gasket. Any info or thoughts are appreciated.

Chris
Ayuh,.... It depends on the t-stat housin', 'n how yer motor is plumbed,...

Without knowin' more of what ya got, the Best tip I can offer is,...
If it's been runnin' Fine, when ya pull the old risers off, take note of which gaskets were used,..
Then use the same style gaskets goin' back together,...

Use the wrong ones, 'n you'll get over-heatin' or hot spots,..
Old 03-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

Dry joint is not totally restricted. They just moved the water passages for and aft. You can still get 2 different gaskets for it . They look like oring seals and one style is open in the middle and the other just has a small hole in it.

Chris
Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM
Registered

Thats a great Idea Bondo.. Problem is its a used boat and someone had put a mix match of parts on it. Mercruiser/glm on one side and Sierra /HGE on the other side. The merc side had the restrictor style gasket and the sierra side had full open. IE 4 slots open. I bought the boat cheap and only expected to get 1 season out of the motor. We ran the piss out of it all last season. Even with 90 degree water temps here in the gulf in july, it never overheated. So I figured I would slap some new manifolds on it for safety and hit it again this season. Decided to go dry joint because I think this motor is in better condition than I thought when I bought it. So putting good risers and manifolds on it and will run it till it breaks.. Probably several seasons. As far as the plumbing, It has the style thermostat housing that directs water to the bottom of the manifolds. Then water exits out the Risers to the y pipe. No hoses are connected to the Risers like on some models.. Probably why it has held up so good.. Its Simple...lol...

Chris
Old 03-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will be interesting to see answers on this as I am also curious.

On my 5.7's, I run a restricted gasket as I have hoses going to both the manifold and the risers. Figure they are both getting water pushed through them but no idea if this is correct. I would think with no hose going to the risers, you would want unrestricted gaskets since all the water has to flow through it. That is my guess! LOL.

Interested to see what the correct way is if I am wrong. And why. The problem with being an engineer, I always want to know the "why".

Thanks for posting this question.

Brian
Old 03-15-2014, 01:26 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Post your serial # of your engine and just to make sure you have closed cooling or am I wrong about that. Also depending if you have riser extension blocks. so do have them in between the riser and manifold. Also Dry joint manifold and riser set up is taller than the non older standard type exhaust manifold & riser. Again all OEM stock parts and set ups go off of serial # not year model. It does not matter what every else has because marine apps & parts can change mid year or when a Service or parts bulletin comes into effect.

80 % of this forum do not have stock OEM set ups nor a lot of them do not have stock OEM parts on their engines so a lot of OEM info goes out the window but in your case seems like you are completely stock.

Last edited by BUP; 03-15-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:55 PM
Registered

Don't have the serial number handy but have looked up parts by it before and it was inaccurate at best. I do not have closed cooling so that makes it easier. As far as the Height difference, Merc made 2 versions of the dry joint system as do all the aftermarket company's. The earlier ones before 2005 were standard height and standard degree og angle which is about 7 degrees. Later ones were taller and 14 degrees. I am going with the 7 degree setup. I do have 3 inch riser extensions and have found them in dry joint as well. I should be within a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of stock height. Back to the gaskets. I have decided to use the restricted ones but not sure if I want to put them at the manifold/extension joint or the extension/riser joint. This is a link to the riser company instructions. http://www.hgemarine.com/techinfo/HG...stallation.pdf. It just does not explain its use with extensions.
These are the extensions..
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/pc/BARMC2...uiser+864929A3

Chris
Old 03-15-2014, 03:13 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Hense the reason why I ask post for your serial # because without eyes and hands on your motor who in the world would know EXACTLY what you had plus the set up. I sure did'nt and I'm Mercruiser dealer for 25 years and running. All serial # breaks can have different parts and different set ups installed from the OEM plus a lot of aftermarketers do not have the serial # info correct anyways. Mercnet is how dealers look up stuff & info correctly especially for procedures along with specs. I knew about the two angles from the risers. I am a dealer for HGE also. Good luck.

Last edited by BUP; 03-15-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

OK BUP.. Here is the Serial #. I am not sure if they are they are O's or Zeros in this #. I can never seem to get it right on the mercury parts look site but here goes. OL089625 To me it looks like OL ZERO 89625.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.