Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Gimble housing bolts/studs sealed? >

Gimble housing bolts/studs sealed?

Notices

Gimble housing bolts/studs sealed?

Old 03-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Gimble housing bolts/studs sealed?

Preparing to re-install the gimble housings.
The 2 bottom bolts had some kind of black sealant on them when they were removed..

The studs and upper bolts were a bit rusty and had no sealant.
Should they get sealant too?

Would Lifeseal be a good choice for sealant? That's what I plan to use for the foam seal.

Thx
Old 03-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Nope,.... No reason to seal the bolts/ studs, they're Inside the dry area, inside the transom housin' seal/ gasket,...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

it was probably Aviation Gasket sealer. Merc Techs use it alot. On bolts it is sort of a sealant and anti seize and thread vibration resistor/ locker all in one.

Chris
Old 03-27-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't use a sealant that would make it very difficult to remove in the future. You should not need any sealant.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

OK on the upper bolts and studs. Only reason I ask is because the only place a see bare wood is inside the bolt holes and the old bolts/studs were rusty. Maybe water got into the bolt holes from the inside at some point before I bought the boat.

The lower bolts are going to need something. They are not in the "dry" area.
Ref item #19 here:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...GIMBAL+HOUSING
Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah. I have never taken apart an older transom assembly with the bottom bolts. I would assume the need a sealant in that case. On the newer transom assemblies I have done, all the studs including the lower studs are inside the foam gasket. The wood does get moist if too much water sits in the bilge and the opening is not sealed or you have leaks from the outside into the transom like unsealed screws or thru-hulls.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You dont really need anything, but I would for that just in case situation. When I put mine back on, I used alittle silicone around each hole just to make sure, even tho I replaced the foam seal. It isnt going to hurt anything and you wont see it. It will be just a small piece of mind.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:31 PM
Registered

Thx for the replies guys. I'll plan on a small bead of RTV around the studs JIC.

As for the lower bolts, what sealant is recommended? 5200 is out. Not crazy abt 4200, but it might be OK.
I'll already have a large tube of Lifeseal opened and ready, but haven't heard of anyone using it for thru hull bolts..
Old 03-28-2014, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Thx for the replies guys. I'll plan on a small bead of RTV around the studs JIC.

As for the lower bolts, what sealant is recommended? 5200 is out. Not crazy abt 4200, but it might be OK.
I'll already have a large tube of Lifeseal opened and ready, but haven't heard of anyone using it for thru hull bolts..
Ayuh,.... Be careful usin' sealant on those aluminum bolts/ studs, they're a part of the anode system,...
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

This may sound like a dumb question, but if I have a Mercathode sys, are the lower alum bolts still considered part of the anti-corrosion sys?
My old boat had alum lower bolts and the bolt head had a stud on it for a "zinc sacrificial element" (I think that's what it was called) could be screwed on.. The lower bolts on my Bravo don't have a place to screw a zinc element on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.