Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Dyno time versus Engine stand >

Dyno time versus Engine stand

Notices

Dyno time versus Engine stand

Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an engine that is properly tuned on a dyno nets only a .05 pounds of fuel better on the BSFC, that is three gallons per hour you will save on a boat using 275hp to cruise. That is a $500 fuel savings on 40 hrs of use.

I have seen poorly tuned engines run with a BSFC of .58 before tuning and be in the .44 range after. That's a 25% increase in economy. If you know what the load is, you can calculate fuel usage doing cruise simulations on the dyno. I've nailed it within a gallon per hour on houseboat engines.

We dyno every engine we build....or we don't build it. It's not worth the risk not to. We are going to start a exchange program soon, through a local marina (We are not a retail shop). A large selling point for us will be that every engine is dyno tested, with the customers carb and ignition when possible, and cruise load tested.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do what you wish. But you asked and others have answered. I wish you luck either way. My guy ran a brake in program. I also started with 14.5 AF_R. Ran great but that is not good. Took alot of work to get it down to 12.6. My carb is a 950 QF off a 540 stroker. I only built a 509 mild 9.6-1 comp motor. My motor was run on 89 none on the dyno. Dyno program was set to only pull once conditions were set to where its going to run for real life apps. Best of luck.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks Double R wanted $1000 plus fuel
Originally Posted by cig92
Stimleck- bring it across the boarder to the buffalo area, 1 1/2 hours from Toronto. There are many dyno's in the area. One is $80 per hour and he's fairly quick (4hours or less) and the other is jan-cen and they range from $350-500. They are a big machine shop building motors upwards of 4,000 hp and have a very nice Dyno. There are lots of good engine guys over here and I have yet to pay 500 for a single Dyno run. It's worth the trip and every penny. Btw, isn't double r reasonable? They are in your back yard
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow that is huge!
Thanks for all the advice you guys are awesome!

Originally Posted by rev.ronnie
If an engine that is properly tuned on a dyno nets only a .05 pounds of fuel better on the BSFC, that is three gallons per hour you will save on a boat using 275hp to cruise. That is a $500 fuel savings on 40 hrs of use.

I have seen poorly tuned engines run with a BSFC of .58 before tuning and be in the .44 range after. That's a 25% increase in economy. If you know what the load is, you can calculate fuel usage doing cruise simulations on the dyno. I've nailed it within a gallon per hour on houseboat engines.

We dyno every engine we build....or we don't build it. It's not worth the risk not to. We are going to start a exchange program soon, through a local marina (We are not a retail shop). A large selling point for us will be that every engine is dyno tested, with the customers carb and ignition when possible, and cruise load tested.