Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272 >

Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272

Notices

Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272

Old 04-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272

After posting this in my Formula 272 build, I figured I should put it in the technical section since the bolster seats do not apply to just formulas.

I am getting close enough that I am starting to plan the install of my bolster seats and realize that I need more information! Where do you put these things? Attached is a couple of pictures of the seat sitting in place. This is about the location that works for me to sit and my knees not to be within a pounding range of the steering console. It really doesn't feel bad sitting right there, especially since I sit up higher than the original bucket seat which drove me crazy. But I wonder if the seat is too far back for proper standing or if the seat is too low on it's stand for me.

So I can place it as shown, I can slide it forward an inch or two max and look at modifying or padding the steering console. I can look at making new bolster stands to raise them higher, but they do seem like a nice height for sitting. Also, since the seats are just drop out bolsters, I am considering adding an electric lift to control the seat so I can drop it part way to use as a leaning seat.

I have to try a few things to look at, but wanted to see if others could see how their seat locations measure up and compare. So how far is the back rest of your bolster from your steering wheel? How does it compare to what I have? Thanks to any who can help.

Brian

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522671[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]522672[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272-bolster-side.jpg   Location question on adding bolster seat to Formula 272-bolster-top.jpg  
Old 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Man, not getting any help on OSO here for bolster location. Thought someone could have rattled off a distance. On the formula section I was informed by one person that 24" to the center of the wheel from back of bolster rest is the target. Right now I am at 24.5" to 25"

Any help or confirmation?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

The biggest factor is you. How does it feel? Can you lock yourself into it?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

I have never driven a boat with bolsters and without it being bolted down, no real way to test it. I think where I have it will work, but was more asking to make sure I was not way out of line or find if there is a generally accepted range that others have. No way to really clamp it down either to test it.

Brian
Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Have somebody stand behind the bolster and support it while you lean back. I get the confusion though, Im doing a sit down conversion, but have never run a sit down boat. Luckily I have a friend who has raced them to help ne place the seats steering and throttle,
Old 04-30-2014, 07:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine from the center of the wheel straight back to the vertical back of the bolster are 22.5 inches. Above that they slant away some and below that the come in closer. Those are the standard 89 seats.