Electric sea water cooling intake pump >

Electric sea water cooling intake pump

Notices

Electric sea water cooling intake pump

Old 06-13-2014, 12:00 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

that's the problem with external pumps as they (a lot) do not self prime or can lose their prime very easily. I have thought about this many years ago. The issue is priming and continuous flow volume is always the problem.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's a good question ,from the op , drag racers run electrics ,and those merc pumps are unloved by most .and yea I've run lots of motors with a bilge pump .out of a tub .under the drive ,hooked to muffs .great for those summerization cold starts on a empty fogged block .personally I would like to adapt a Volvo penta or indmar front drive pump to replace a merc.I have watched those suck a 5 gallon bucket of water empty in about 6 seconds ,at idle
Old 06-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could get one of those electric motors used to drive water pumps. Use it to spin the sea pump.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fordtrucks
Hey guy, I to have been thinking about this idea. I like the idea of being able to let my motor warm up before I hit the water and I like the idea of being able to get close to the beach without worrying about sucking up sand. I could run my motor on the trailer without needing a water hose as long as I didn't let it run long enough to over heat.

Here is the pump I would use. Its also 1-1/4" inlet out let so you could pull your sea pump out and use a 90 degree hose to connect the inlet outlet together where your sea pump used to be then you could install this puppy a foot back or so where your sea water supply line is more straight. Only thing ide want to do is set my out drive in a bucket of water and hook this pump up in the boat and make sure it will suck the water through the out drive of course. I don't see using a high quality water pump any less reliable than the sea pump/sea pump belt or any other electrical device on your boat that could fail. I watch my gauges so ide know right away if my temp was climbing and or notice my lack of flow coming out the side of the boat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/em...bk14/overview/

You cannot run your engine without water, in a car it would be fine as long as the temperature doesn't rise enough to cause damage. However in a boat you will damage the exhaust in very short order. As well as melt the rubber couplings, possibly melt the glass even. Please don't try and run an electric pump, just stick to the belt driven seawater pump.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Registered

Here is one for ya, its a pump strainer all in one!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:55 AM
Only the Best Will Do!

http://www.keitheickert.com/c-132-me...sea-pumps.aspx

OP,

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

also drag racers are using elec water pumps on a motor that idles for 5 to 10 minutes and is at full throttle for 8 to 13 seconds.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 4,313 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Lightbulb

-Couple bungies on the swim platform , hole in the transom and you`re all set!

Old 06-18-2014, 05:55 PM
Registered

Sweet Jesus!