How to adjust idle on 6.2? >

How to adjust idle on 6.2?

Notices

How to adjust idle on 6.2?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to adjust idle on 6.2?

My 6.2 idle is running a little high. It is running 800-900rpm. I looked at the recommendation for that motor and it should be around 600rpm in neutral. How do you adjust the idle speed on these?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If it's a carb you back off the screw. If it's injected that's a whole nother thing.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:06 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

6.2 what ? and what year ? if you have Mercruiser and OEM stock MPI engine idle speed is non adjustable, it is all dictated by the ECM by input from various sensors on the motor.

Last edited by BUP; 06-30-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

You have a vacuum leak. Check all the hoses and vacuum lines. A small crack in a vacuum hose can cause this.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You may also have your throttle cable adjusted a bit too much on the throttle body at idle. On the top of the motor, you should see an adjustment on the throw of your cable. There is also adjustments at the bottom of your thottle/shifter assembly.

Engine off: pull the throttle all the way back, remove the flame arrestor, and look at the throttle body/monoblade.
Then, remove the nut holding the throttle cable to the monoblade. If the throttleblade is able to close further with the cable disconnected, your cable needs adjusted.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Could be corrosion on the TPS, engine computer thinking engine is a a different throttle setting than your controls are at.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Registered

Thanks guys for the info! This is a brand new 6.2 mercruiser attached to a bravo one. It only has 4 hours on the motor, I'll check out the linkage at the throttle body and see how it is set.

I wasn't sure how it would work with the MPI.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes these guys are right, the high idle has to be a symptom of something else.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

easy check would be to unhook your throttle cable to see if your correct idle returns if not try to move the throttle arm yourself to see if you can lesson your rpms. Do apply too much force as you do not want to bend anything. Also check your throttle plate to make it is closed or not restricted from returning to the correct idle speed. had no idea the motor was repower as I think your problem is in your throttle cable adjustment or possible new throttle cable needs to be installed. Also when you unhook your throttle cable make sure the movement of it is very easy and moves in full positions. ( Advancement & return)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
Could be corrosion on the TPS, engine computer thinking engine is a a different throttle setting than your controls are at.
Although possible, I think it is unlikely in this situation. If the TPS was corroded throttle response would be erratic for both acceleration and deceleration. I would look at linkage first, then for a vacuum leak. If those fail to cure the problem it could be the TPS.