Notices

Interior DYI

Old 07-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior DYI

OK. I have a 33 year old 33' boat that I like. I do want to upgrade the cabin interior and the helm. I will do this over the winter, but trying to get a plan of how far I will go. Several questions. What is the best way to attach interior wall and roof panels? Where is the best place to buy material? What is the best book/manual on DYI boat interior? What are the things that you like best about your interior? What do you wish you had that you don't have? I will be adding a porta potty, wet bar, Tv. Trying to add nice creature comforts and stay in power boat and not a cruiser. Just wanted to get some help from the experts. I no nothing about interior, but before you start this is the DYI section and it will be perfect when I am done. I just want to get it right the sooner than later.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

T-nuts and 1/4-20s for a lot of stuff, Christmas tree fasteners are another option. If you have a keystone bros. near you and can show some kind of buisness or have a friend with one (they dont sell to the public) is your best bet for vinyl. I was getting advantage marine white for 10.50 a yard. you are going to want an air stapler and stainless staples (the electric staple giuns just dont have the umpf.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you still need to use marine grade vinyl in a cabin that is not exposed to the elements? Not saying to cheap out totally, but the parts that are exposed to sun, rain, etc., I can understand using the heavy grade stuff. Not so much in a cabin that honestly doesn't usually get near as much wear and tear as the cockpit. I am wanting to redo the cabin in mine as well - lose the 80's velour stuff - but am planning to go with a lighter grade of vinyl in there.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Do you still need to use marine grade vinyl in a cabin that is not exposed to the elements? Not saying to cheap out totally, but the parts that are exposed to sun, rain, etc., I can understand using the heavy grade stuff. Not so much in a cabin that honestly doesn't usually get near as much wear and tear as the cockpit. I am wanting to redo the cabin in mine as well - lose the 80's velour stuff - but am planning to go with a lighter grade of vinyl in there.
Marine grade vinyl is easier to clean (at least what I have experienced). I used non marine grade on a few trim panels on my previous boat and when cleaning them, the towel just wouldn't slide across the surface easy. The vinyl always seemed to grab the towel. Not that it was sticky (because it wasn't) just felt like a different surface... I would stay with all marine vinyl. Check out http://greatlakesskipper.com. They sell manufacture remints, you can usually find vinyl, welt cord, etc much cheaper. I have bought welt cord from them. They have some pre foam backed vinyl on their site right now. I was thinking about buying for the cabin of my Concept. Having it foam backed saves you a step and lots of glue.... Shipping can get pricy when buying a roll of vinyl but that will be the same with any company.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought some vinyl from Miamicorp.com. Great customer service and great prices.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr
I just bought some vinyl from Miamicorp.com. Great customer service and great prices.
That is where my interior guy buys his vinyl.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google DLT fabrics
Old 07-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If you can get an in (the don't sell retaill) with keyston bros. I got Advatange Marine great white vinyl from them for 10.50 a yard.