Notices

Stroking a 502

Old 08-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had similar experience to gimme fuel ,30 over 502 with a stroker crank 9.25 je pistons crane gen 5 roller cam edelbrock largeovals lpe reworked mag mpi did 660ish below 5900 rpm going back to iron heads and a cutlermpi for jet boat still have the modded and a stock intake tb ect keeping the 440 injectors for the Cutler .
Old 08-28-2014, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

airjunky- LOVE the Tahiti, my cousin had a '77 too I believe, blue flake with a straight 6 Merc outboard. Hella fun, learned to ski and stuff on that bad boy. Oh the memories!

Word of advice, once you find the engine builder you're comfortable with, it's ok to have questions, but most won't tolerate wasting their time with 2nd guessing everything they suggest or saying "so-n-so on this forum said this" or "price me out 15 different combos". Reliable builders with a good track record (no such thing as the best or perfect builder, if they've been around long enough, sooner or later they'll piss someone off and if you dig you can find dirt on anyone) typically will have parts/brands they trust and combos they like- which in their experience they've found make power, are reliable, and fit your budget guidelines. After the initial project is planned out, most builders don't have a lot of time to waste with answering lots of emails or daily phone calls.

No one wants to get burned or spend a lot of time & money on a time bomb or unreliable junk. But at some point you have to trust the builder to do their job....
Old 08-28-2014, 10:34 AM
Registered

40 over
Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
So whats the final bore size, Im running Callies cranks, H-beam rods, AFR 325 heads, Wiseco custom piston and Bobs cam's with the stock 500 EFI intakes with custom Smith ECM tune, you can build em cheaper but I wouldn't just my 2 cents, good luck
Old 08-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Registered

Thats why I am here asking all the questions so hopefully I can do it right & do it once well in this case twice because it has a twin lol. Thank you all for your help
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Well, consider this. You need pistons. Then you'll probably want to upgrade rods since it isnt much more than rebuilding your stock rods. Then you're left with your stock crank. Which, you can usually sell for around 200 bucks. A new 4.25 crank, will run you around 675ish for a 4340 style compstar, scat, etc. So you'll really out of pocket around 500 bucks, to upgrade this to a 540ci setup. Not terrible.

The stock heads IMO, arent worth rebuilding, esp if they are tired and or have some damage. A new set of heads will stomp those 1960's designed GM heads. So, you'll need heads, pushrods, rockers, a better oil pan, bigger oil coolers, and so on. Then you'll need to decide on what to do for induction. The MPI ****tt will need to go. You can do a single plane and a carb, or a holley EFI setup.

Taking your time on a build like this, and really thinking it out with the right components, 700hp is attainable. You're gonna have to figure the entire engine build out piece by piece on paper, before ordering anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered

Well I'm doing the build just having machine do the machining I have built a few nice street cars in the pass and own a repair shop so just trying to get input because I know marine engines are a different animal don't want to do trial & error but enjoy building something that kicks butt
Originally Posted by lsc86
airjunky- LOVE the Tahiti, my cousin had a '77 too I believe, blue flake with a straight 6 Merc outboard. Hella fun, learned to ski and stuff on that bad boy. Oh the memories!

Word of advice, once you find the engine builder you're comfortable with, it's ok to have questions, but most won't tolerate wasting their time with 2nd guessing everything they suggest or saying "so-n-so on this forum said this" or "price me out 15 different combos". Reliable builders with a good track record (no such thing as the best or perfect builder, if they've been around long enough, sooner or later they'll piss someone off and if you dig you can find dirt on anyone) typically will have parts/brands they trust and combos they like- which in their experience they've found make power, are reliable, and fit your budget guidelines. After the initial project is planned out, most builders don't have a lot of time to waste with answering lots of emails or daily phone calls.

No one wants to get burned or spend a lot of time & money on a time bomb or unreliable junk. But at some point you have to trust the builder to do their job....
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I used the stock injectors and fuel pump setup, I just increased the fuel pressure a few PSI. Flat top pistons, Madera custom camshaft and a set of Edelbrock marine heads. Fuel was not the problem, it was air. Eddie Young tuned it for me on the dyno and we could watch it go very rich at higher rpm. Had to take away a lot of fuel up top. Just can't get enough air through the MPI intake.
What was your max rpm with this setup?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:18 PM
Registered

I believe the one we have they were going for efi 525 style plenum and runner volume ,cut maybe inch total off length of the siamesed runners and shaped inlets like funnels ,runner volume was plenty in lower I guess .heavily modded throttle body .pulled to 6k on 540 aluminum ovals crane roller cam ,rpm limited to 55 to.try to preserve the drive with a meaty prop .vac regulator yanked and custom adjustable reg in place .440 cc Lucas injectors
Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM
Registered

Hate to say this but its still a butt ugly manifold though .love to see if a vp gen 6 upper would bolt on . Poor man's 525 efi unit with some blue paint