More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it >

More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it

Notices

More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it

Old 09-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts
Default More power to heavy cruiser, is it worth it

Have a 1994 Formula 27PC which weights in around 10K pounds. Currently has a single 502MPI and moves it OK with B3 drive. Having a few minor issues which I want to fix so while the engine is out I'm looking into increasing the HP and changing the outdrive. Reading a few threads about increasing the HP and still being able to run on 87 octane. Haxbyspeed has a good thread on pumping up the 502. It did loose a bit of HP when changed to Holley fuel injection but that was top end. Currently my cruiser gets a bit loose at WOT but I need to replace my gimbal ring and pin this year. My thought is to pull the Merc MPI off and go with the Holley EFI setup. Change out the cam, install roller rockers then replace my standard B3 drive with a B3XR setup all new transom. From what I have been reading on HP rating, the X and XR have the same rating, don't know what else the differences are. I run 89 octane all the time because that is the lowest grade I can get, so I could easily bump the compression up a bit but don't want to have to run 93.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ml#post4171672
Haxbyspeed post http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...e-results.html

Found many items on the classifieds with drives and other items
Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Your flogging a dead whale----spend the next three weeks putting the boat back in to stock condition and clean it up and sell to a nice family--------then buy yourself a nice offshore boat with two motors not one!!! Its the end of the season and you might be able to snag a great buy .. First things first sell what you have now and take your time looking for a new toy and take someone with you when you look to keep you out of trouble and who knows what they are looking at. good luck

Jim
Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on everything cig had to say except sell it now. that boat is designed to do what it does better than a sundancer...but not by much. store it until march and then get it up for sale. everybody buying from now till spring is gonna undercut the market. of course that is exactly why you need to start shopping now. i find owning 2 boats over the winter to work pretty good.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Or keep the PC for the family and buy a small hot rod 18-22' to get your speed thrills.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,088 Likes on 1,390 Posts

There is always the 40ft + Wellcraft for sale with Whipple'd high 500cid engines and Arneson's that's for sale. Probably still in the classified, if not sold yet. I believe that went into the 70'smph.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM
Registered

Thought about that but kinda like my cruiser. The boat does everything the wife and I like to do, and it will out perform the twin 27PC now due to the single engine. This season I put it up beside a 2010 with twin 5.7 and we said see ya While it does have some draw backs and wouldn't mind twins but I look at it like this. I'm sticking with Formula now what which way it ends up, really like the way they build a boat. So put another 20K in this one and know what I have, or spend another 80K for another. Most the used 330 SS have either 6.2 in them and they really need is 8.2. Found a 370SS with 525's but for what we use it for, that would be way to much money, but sure like the thought of it.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Registered

Probably should add one clarification of the question "is it worth it". This come from I currently have 415HP and thinking about going to 500 to 525HP. So by another 100HP what can be expected of coming out of the hole and cruise. Could go from B3 to B1 but this would effect coming out of the hole. Current B3 is 2.00:1, would a different ratio help? Don't really care about top end
Old 09-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Doesn't seem like anyone is going to talk you out of it so, call cobra power or chief order a single 900 and a bravo 3 x and good luck
Old 09-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No
Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by lil red
Doesn't seem like anyone is going to talk you out of it so, call cobra power or chief order a single 900 and a bravo 3 x and good luck
Looks like your right, guess there was some other guys willing to talk about it back when he posted his stuff. Maybe PM Hxbyspeed and see if he can provide some more pointers. As for the 900 models, I don't have the clearance for superchargers, and actually don't really want to put one on. I'll pull the motor, talk with Holley and others as I find them and see what I wind up with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.