Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
500 hp on a crownline 202 worth it? >

500 hp on a crownline 202 worth it?

Notices

500 hp on a crownline 202 worth it?

Old 09-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Ok, let me play devil's advocate: In the mid 80's I had a 20' Executive walk thru V-hull. Very nice plushy family/ski boat. It had a Mercruiser 260 horse and Alpha, and was a nice 60 mph boat.

I got a wild hair, and decided to put a B&M 144 blower on it. After getting it sorted out (very long story) it was pretty much bulletproof and unnoticeable (except for the high pitched whine on boost). It had jump seats and the top opening to the motor cover was about 1'X3'.
I painted the blower black, put the "Mercruiser 260hp" ornamental air cover on, covered the blower snout with hoses, and when you looked down in the little opening, it you didn't know what you were looking for, it was almost invisible.

I would run down the lake and jet boat guys would come by with their hot little girl friends, gas it and take off. They'd look up and I'd be beside them. They would nail it WOT and I'd just slide up beside them again, then I'd look over, wave, trim up and scoot away!

I ran a solid 72mph, and at the time, could take most "regular" boats on our lake. The other guys would come over at the beach, ask what I had in it, and I'd shrug my shoulders, and say "I don't know, it says 260hp"!

Sometimes it's not about being the fastest (there's always somebody faster), it's about having fun being faster than you look!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:24 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

CDshack - you must be a long lost brother I never met. LOL. Love it !
Old 09-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Thanks SB---To be honest I had more "fun" with that boat than all the thumpin' rattlin' go fast boats I've owned. After a couple of years I lost the bottom box pulling a skier, year after lost the upper box pulling a skier. (I believe I may have exceeded the Alpha's design capabilities) It was sitting in a buddies shop waiting on a new gearset and a guy came in that HAD to have it. Still wish I had that one back!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Somewhat different class of boats, but my buddy had some fun with the Fountain guys in his Force 235 with a 509 / B&M 250 combo. Boat ran about 83, which is not that fast by today's standards, but somewhat unexpected from a stock appearing older boat like that.