Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
How can you tell what scored your cylinders? >

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Notices

How can you tell what scored your cylinders?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the reason I was askin is because the old motor had some similar scoring , but it too had chit in the oil after blowing the cylinder.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Damn that sucks. You just had this one done.
My plan was have him machine it and me put it together. Then it was . Ok do the short block then when I pick it up we can tork the heads on it.. Then he talked me into assembly. I should have said no and finished it myself and started it myself but it was kinda his baby. So I put his completed motor back in the boat and brought the boat to him to start. Now I am doing it all myself. but not for a while because he tapped me totally out of money, But i did have insurance on the boat this entire year and never used the boat. Well I did use it once but it was on layover and would not have been covered.

Last edited by mcprodesign; 10-03-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

sure does look like the metal from the cam and lifter scored the piston and cylinder.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 699 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
the reason I was askin is because the old motor had some similar scoring , but it too had chit in the oil after blowing the cylinder.
were is the oil cooler in relation to the filter,before or after?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Damn. Sometimes it's better to do it yourself unless you have complete faith in someone. I'm not an engine builder and have not done shortblock assembly but I've done everything else.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Registered

It started right up and there was a water leak, he shut it off then he started up there was another tiny little water leak and he shut it off and then he made me jump the spark plug wires to advance the timing. and then it would barley spin over and it was really too far advanced on the timing and then he backed it off a bit and started up and left me there in the boat and went to lunch for a half an hour with it running , I could not believe I was actually witnessing this. Told me to change the oil when he got back and sent me to the lake . Then he texted me to adjust the half inch difference out of the sticks. That's when I knew I was ****ed. Turns out he sent me off with the motor timed at 40. Use standard merc 10 40 instead of brake in oil, did not turn the motor over before he put the intake on to see if all the lifters were spinning etc. i could not believe all this **** he did wrong and he got paid
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
were is the oil cooler in relation to the filter,before or after?
Filter is the last thing before it goes back into the motor.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It started right up and there was a water leak, he shut it off then he started up there was another tiny little water leak and he shut it off and then he made me jump the spark plug wires to advance the timing. and then it would barley spin over and it was really too far advanced on the timing and then he backed it off a bit and started up and left me there in the boat and went to lunch for a half an hour with it running , I could not believe I was actually witnessing this. Told me to change the oil when he got back and sent me to the lake . Then he texted me to adjust the half inch difference out of the sticks. That's when I knew I was ****ed. Turns out he sent me off with the motor timed at 40. Use standard merc 10 40 instead of brake in oil, did not turn the motor over before he put the intake on to see if all the lifters were spinning etc. i could not believe all this **** he did wrong and he got paid

Holy chit. That is fin horrible!
Old 10-04-2014, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Turns out he sent me off with the motor timed at 40. Use standard merc 10 40 instead of brake in oil, did not turn the motor over before he put the intake on to see if all the lifters were spinning etc. i could not believe all this **** he did wrong and he got paid
Is this actually a flat tappet engine? If it is than it should have been broken in on super light valve springs or break in rocker arms with actual break in oil. What I see from the picture in post 12 though looks like a Gen 6 motor and one would assume a roller cam motor. If it is a roller motor I am confused by what you were expecting to see with the intake off and spinning the motor other than the lifters moving up and down.

And if it is a flat tappet, then.....why?
Old 10-04-2014, 01:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi matt
Is this actually a flat tappet engine? If it is than it should have been broken in on super light valve springs or break in rocker arms with actual break in oil. What I see from the picture in post 12 though looks like a Gen 6 motor and one would assume a roller cam motor. If it is a roller motor I am confused by what you were expecting to see with the intake off and spinning the motor other than the lifters moving up and down.

And if it is a flat tappet, then.....why?
Because that is how it was. I used all the same brand parts that were in that motor before and it ran for 10 years with no problems . And also because merc made thousands of these like this and I liked how it ran. Never 1 problem with the crane valve train. Also if you start switching cams then you have to do testing and back and fourth to the lake bla bla bla. I liked the way it was, boat is dialed. That is why

Last edited by mcprodesign; 10-04-2014 at 01:32 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.