DUI distributor wiring question. >

DUI distributor wiring question.

Notices

DUI distributor wiring question.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
used several of the large cap HEI's I always buy the correct connectors from summit splice them to the power and tach and roll on...
Pep boys has the pig tail if you are in a pinch. And have one local...
Old 10-30-2014, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by shunter2005
Sorry, it's not that I didn't trust you, I just didn't understand your explanation of where you got the power. I took it that you somehow plugged into a flat plug in the EFI harness and that threw me, since mine is carbed. You threw me another little curve with the additional wire for the oil pressure alarm out of the harness. As I said, I am electricity challenged and I just couldn't grasp it. I kept thinking about the ignition module and the knock sensor harness plugs in my boat and didn't know if I could use the purple wires there. I finally realized that all the purple wires were the same size (DUH!!), so I opted for the existing purple (+) coil wire that wasn't being used. All that worry for basically nothing. I kept reading everywhere that the DUI had to have a 12 ga. wire for power.

Oh, and you were certainly correct. If you over think it, it does become more complicated than it has to be and will drive you crazy. I have spent hours searching for info about this.

Next time (if there is one), I will ask more pointed questions and try to get it straight in my thick old head.

Thanks
Was just joking. I also spent hours trying to get it right. The best part of these forums for us DYI guys is getting good different solutions from the "experts" then sorting out what works best. Much better than paying good money and not understanding what the tech is charging you for.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by shunter2005
If you over think it, it does become more complicated than it has to be and will drive you crazy. I have spent hours searching for info about this.

Thanks
And that's what happens with some people on the subject of oil on every motorsport / hobby forum on the internet.

Overthinking can make things mind boggling with no way out.

LOL.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
And that's what happens with some people on the subject of oil on every motorsport / hobby forum on the internet.

Overthinking can make things mind boggling with no way out.

LOL.
please don,t get them started again,lol.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but this is where the search function lead me. I'm hoping some of you are still active. I've gathered that its ok to just wire the DUI unit into the factory ignition wire. My question is in regards to the factory Mercruiser ignition control and knock modules. Can I leave them plugged in and expect them to function as advertised?

Thanks in advance and again my apologies for resurrecting a dinosaur.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No, you need to get them out of the system. The DUI is self contained. What happened to your TB V? They don't fail often.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NHGuy
No, you need to get them out of the system. The DUI is self contained. What happened to your TB V? They don't fail often.
Thanks for the reply! The boat is an extremely low hr boat for it's age. However, previous owners neglected to perform routine maintenance under the mindset of "it's got low hrs." With that being said, cap and rotor, coil, plug wires and more had never been changed. I had run a DUI unit on a ski boat years ago and had great results. However, I was able to just hook up battery/tach and roll. What will I need change on my setup to run the DUI unit?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:25 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I was running a DUI ignition off of the purple wire, and then wired in a relay and 12g wire and it completely transformed the performance of the boat. Stronger midrange and top end gained a couple hundred rpm.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
I was running a DUI ignition off of the purple wire, and then wired in a relay and 12g wire and it completely transformed the performance of the boat. Stronger midrange and top end gained a couple hundred rpm.
I read that above and I guess I just had a specific question in reference to how you had the relay wired.

Was it like this?

85 - PURPLE
86 - GND
87 - TO DIST
87a - NOT USED
30 - BATT+
Old 05-29-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

This is a handy little relay from Amazon. A better way to go would be to get another Merc trim/starter relay as they have been proven in marine use.

Another reason not to run the ignition off of the starter is the tether kill switch won’t kill the ignition.

ONLINE LED STORE 40/30 Amp Waterproof Relay Switch Harness Set - 12V DC 5-Pin SPDT Automotive Relays 12 AWG Hot Wires https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N66W2XF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RuydBbK7SX3ZA