Notices

My 502 got Wet!!!

Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 502 got Wet!!!

Well this just sucks!

My lift busted while I was away for the weekend and the aft of my 1998 Baja 502 EFI went under (fresh water). I guess the good part is it wasn't running and it was fresh water.

Am I looking at a total rebuild? There is no water in the Oil at all.

I haven't touched it yet, so I dont know if it will start or turnover, I wanted to get some advice before I tried to fire it up.
Cheers!
Old 10-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the plugs out and turn it over or turn it over by hand backwards a few times then start it.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

How far under?
Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

How far under is the water line? My 468 got wet in my jet boat when I lost a main cooling line. Water was over the starter and the oil pan. Once dried out, I didn't even lose the starter.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

WTF, lift failed, and boat leaked. You had a bad week!

Did any electronics get wet? If so you probably can't just start it.

But since the engine has no water in the crankcase you might have dodged that bullet. So remove the spark plugs and spin out any water in the combustion chambers right away. Doesn't have to turn backwards, the plugs are out. If you get water out of the spark plug holes, oil the combustion chambers and valves. Then if you can't start it you can at least preserve the engine til you can fix the electrics. That can be done by bypassing the ignition either with a remote starter button or by pulling your kill lanyard so you can crank it over without starting. The remote button is best because you won't energize the fuel injection system. After you have cranked out any water with the plugs removed, put some fog oil in the spark plug holes and thread in your old spark plugs. Crank the engine for a few seconds (10 or 15ish) while fogging through the throttle body. That's going to get the valves preserved.
Keep pulling the oilstick and checking, it might take some time for water to get there without running the engine.

Last edited by NHGuy; 10-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NHGuy
Did any electronics get wet? If so you probably can't just start it.
But since the engine has no water in the crankcase you might have dodged that bullet. So remove the spark plugs and spin out any water in the combustion chambers right away. Doesn't have to turn backwards, the plugs are out. If you get water out of the spark plug holes oil the combustion chambers and valves. Then if you can't start it you can at least preserve the engine til you can fix the electrics. That can be done by bypassing the ignition either with a remote starter button or by pulling your kill lanyard so you can crank it over without starting. The remote button is best because you won't energize the fuel injection system. After you have cranked out any water with the plugs removed, put some fog oil in the spark plug holes and thread in your old spark plugs. Crank the engine for a few seconds (10 or 15ish) while fogging through the throttle body. That's going to get the valves preserved.
WTF, lift failed, and boat leaked. You had a bad week!
Thanks Guys!
The water came just below the EFI unit - to the top of the intake.
I will try spinning the water out and see what happens.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Fresh water? I think it will be fine once you dry everything out.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Registered

My old Maxum had some epoxy on a scratch from an incident with a stump. Well apparently that stuff came off on the way to the beach because we pulled it up on the sand a little and an hour or so later there was water 6" deep in he cockpit. Rut roh.

Hit the bilge and for a while and the old 305 fired right up. Never missed a lick after that either.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 516 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
Take the plugs out and turn it over or turn it over by hand backwards a few times then start it.
Why backwards?
Old 11-01-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by cheech
Why backwards?
Yeah, why, and won't that screw up the raw water pump impeller?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.