Drive Trim Pump and Lines Purge

Notices

Drive Trim Pump and Lines Purge

Old 10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Trim Pump and Lines Purge

Rain water got into my drive trim reservoir and then milkshaked when it was used to set new drive (the shop didn't check it before running the trim), now milkshake is throughout both trim rams and all the lines.

Manual says to undue lines at rams and purge by running them in and out, while catching the drain oil outside the transom.

Looking at my spare drive trim pump, there are two tubes that the pump sucks oil up, assume one is for "up" and the other is for "down". What I propose is to remove the tank, put some extension hoses on these suction tubes into "new" full gallon oil container and then use a big funnel under the base to catch the "drain-back" contaminated milkshake into a gallon jug. Trim up and down with the drive several times until the drain oil is clean.

This would be tons easier than disconnecting the lines at the rams numerous times until the oil is clean, with also having to drain, clean several times the oil reservoir itself as the reconnected rams are then purged of their residual trapped milkshake that only slowly gets diluted each cycle of up down (assume that the rams do NOT empty themselves 100% when trimmed full up or full down)

Boat is on a hoist and the drives are hanging out 4 feet above the water not reachable by land, have to tie up a floating platform behind, to do the line swap/reconnect/swap/reconnect purge cycles.

I fully realize that the hoses running to the gallon jug will suck some air initially, but after 5 or 6 times of full up and full down, this should get the air back out. Then reinstall the plastic reservoir refill, up and down several times and refill as necessary.

What say you?