Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Do It Yourself, Boating on a Budget
Advice on "Sand" like material in new In-Line Gas Filter ?? >

Advice on "Sand" like material in new In-Line Gas Filter ??

Notices

Advice on "Sand" like material in new In-Line Gas Filter ??

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on "Sand" like material in new In-Line Gas Filter ??

Hey All,
Just replaced an inline filter and only after about 3 min of idle (found out the carb needed a rebuild so shut her down) = i see what looks like a sand substance in the filter.
See attached pic...
Previous owner said the fuel tank was newer, i've seen the top of take and it looks new.
Pulled the water/gas filter and sure i had some rust and water so that was replaced.
Just wondering what the ....the sand-like substance would be...?
Parts of the fuel pump?
Parts of the hose line?
Crazy....
Any comments appreciated.
Thx
Dave
[ATTACH=CONFIG]533133[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Advice on "Sand" like material in new In-Line Gas Filter ??-20141124_161417.jpg  
Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doesnt sound like its too new .. pics are worth a thousand words . youre not running any other fuel system filter i take it ..
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops my bad i see you do have a fiter besides . wow either its not working or its happening after the filter .
Old 11-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
oops my bad i see you do have a fiter besides . wow either its not working or its happening after the filter .
yes, have a standard water/fuel separator before this and replace it - also the glass filter was brand new - ran motor for only 4 or 5 min to see the carb dripping into manifold (another issue) - but yea it looks like sand....
Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just have to add - you are asking for trouble running a glass type fuel filter in any marine app - one they are not coast guard approved. if you have a outboard engine(s) the plastic inline fuel filter - supported are approved and come from the OEM engine manu's that way.

If you have an I/O you are really asking for trouble as if the glass breaks you have a fire waiting to happen especially if your bilge pump(s) kick on. If no fire happens from gas leaking out of the broken filter, then you most likely will be dumping raw gas in our waterways or on the ground in which is against law. Just saying for your own protection and wallet.

Last edited by BUP; 11-24-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Just have to add - you are asking for trouble running a glass type fuel filter in any marine app - one they are not coast guard approved. if you have a outboard engine(s) the plastic inline fuel filter - supported are approved and come from the OEM engine manu's that way.

If you have an I/O you are really asking for trouble as if the glass breaks you have a fire waiting to happen especially if your bilge pump(s) kick on. If no fire happens from gas leaking out of the broken filter, then you most likely will be dumping raw gas in our waterways or on the ground in which is against law. Just saying for your own protection and wallet.
yep - glass filter was placed there to test new carb rebuild -so thanks for the Note / but back to the question - any suggestions what the sand like substance could be?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:09 AM
BUP
Banned

get a 10 micron rated fuel water sep filter and buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open the already installed filter to see if you have the same crap inside .Do the same with the new 10 micron rated filter Also dump that gas inside the filter(s) into a clear glass jar before cutting them open for an inspection.

next take fuel samples from your boat gas tank, you want to 2 samples one with the boat untouched just sitting there and the next fuel sample with boat / gas tank all shaken up and keep shaking the boat while taking the fuel sample.. You want to put your fuel samples in a big clear glass jar when draining from your fuel tank and let the fuel settle to see what it looks like in the jar.

next unscrew your glass filter with the crap in it - dump in in your hand to see what it feels like and then look at it with a magnifying glass to see if you can tell what it is, Rust, sand, dirt, scale, metal, whatever it might be. maybe your gasket around your fuel sender is letting dirt into your fuel tank or you have a corrosion issue inside your fuel tank. Just saying..

do you have a metal or plastic gas tank, what is your app and the fuel set up.

IF YOU HAVE A MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP - I would bet it is coming from that end (fuel pump) underneath the diaphragm / internal bowl area, Internal corrosion - especially if it is older than ten years of age. I would check there FIRST if you do have a mechanical fuel pump. . Seen that issue a hundred of times as I do this for a living.

Last edited by BUP; 11-25-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
get a 10 micron rated fuel water sep filter and buy an oil filter cutting tool and cut open the already installed filter to see if you have the same crap inside .Do the same with the new 10 micron rated filter Also dump that gas inside the filter(s) into a clear glass jar before cutting them open for an inspection.

next take fuel samples from your boat gas tank, you want to 2 samples one with the boat untouched just sitting there and the next fuel sample with boat / gas tank all shaken up and keep shaking the boat while taking the fuel sample.. You want to put your fuel samples in a big clear glass jar when draining from your fuel tank and let the fuel settle to see what it looks like in the jar.

next unscrew your glass filter with the crap in it - dump in in your hand to see what it feels like and then look at it with a magnifying glass to see if you can tell what it is, Rust, sand, dirt, scale, metal, whatever it might be. maybe your gasket around your fuel sender is letting dirt into your fuel tank or you have a corrosion issue inside your fuel tank. Just saying..

do you have a metal or plastic gas tank, what is your app and the fuel set up.

IF YOU HAVE A MECHANICAL FUEL PUMP - I would bet it is coming from that end (fuel pump) underneath the diaphragm / internal bowl area, Internal corrosion - especially if it is older than ten years of age. I would check there FIRST if you do have a mechanical fuel pump. . Seen that issue a hundred of times as I do this for a living.
i think and hope you are dead on - older mech fuel pump so maybe its coming from there. Tank is metal (aluminum i guess) and from what i can see of it, it looks pretty new (connections on fuel gauge are not rusted and look newer).

i did dump the older fuel/water filter that has a layer of rust on the top and some water in it but didnt cut it in half / good idea - will try and see - thx!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM
BUP
Banned

Not knowing your app nor fuel set up and if they were outboards or I/O's. Just throwing it out there as it is important to give all the details to what you have , year model, engine serial # and if it is a stock app or how it is modify. Very hard to fix this stuff over the phone or over the net without hands, ears, and eyes on it plus test procedures that you do to figure out problems.

Anyways knowing that you have a mechanical fuel pump NOW and some water mixed in the fuel, Pull your mechanical fuel pump and take the screws out from the bottom and pull it apart. You just might be surprise how bad it really it is. If by chance its not your fuel pump - it would be wise to replace it anyways being older than 10 years.

Also, I gave you the next set of tests to pin point your problem area to perform (process of elimination steps & areas ), if its not coming from the mechanical fuel pump side. Again I would bet that is your problem child (fuel pump). Good luck - let us know 4 sure the cause - I am moving on from this one.

Last edited by BUP; 11-25-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Not knowing your app nor fuel set up and if they were outboards or I/O's. Just throwing it out there as it is important to give all the details to what you have , year model, engine serial # and if it is a stock app or how it is modify. Very hard to fix this stuff over the phone or over the net without hands, ears, and eyes on it plus test procedures that you do to figure out problems.

Anyways knowing that you have a mechanical fuel pump NOW and some water mixed in the fuel, Pull your mechanical fuel pump and take the screws out from the bottom and pull it apart. You just might be surprise how bad it really it is. If by chance its not your fuel pump - it would be wise to replace it anyways being older than 10 years.

Also, I gave you the next set of tests to pin point your problem area to perform (process of elimination steps & areas ), if its not coming from the mechanical fuel pump side. Again I would bet that is your problem child (fuel pump). Good luck - let us know 4 sure the cause - I am moving on from this one.
Got it and will do - thanks a bunch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.