Notices

Removing transom assembly

Old 01-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing transom assembly

I am in the process of removing the transom assembly (bravo 1) to replace the seal and overall clean up/inspect everything. I have everything that I can see disconnected, and all 8 nuts are removed. The inner plate will rock side to side a little bit (seem to pivot on the u joint passage area) but not break free from the outer assembly. The outer assembly will not budge from the outside either. I have a sneaking suspicion the previous owner may have had this off already and used a sealant when reinstalling, but either way this needs to come off. I have tapped on the studs lightly and it made no difference. I am nervous about prying anything. Any suggestions are helpful.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Big hammer and a block of wood is how I've always separated them. Hit it like you mean it it will come off.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they used 3m 5200, you will have a hard time getting it off. i put a chain through the outer and pulled it off with my truck on one occasion
Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Mine were a mofo to get off too!! Mini sledge is what I used.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:40 AM
Registered

The bigger question is where to hit it. Should I hit it from the inside where the input shaft goes through? That seems to be the area its pivoting on I am not sure if some corrosion could be holding it there...at least the inner plate.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

As usual, when something is stuck, I stand behind my standard procedure. That being the liberal use of high explosives.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by too slow
The bigger question is where to hit it. Should I hit it from the inside where the input shaft goes through? That seems to be the area its pivoting on I am not sure if some corrosion could be holding it there...at least the inner plate.
Ayuh,.... With the block of hardwood, 'n BFHammer, beat on the Studs, not the housin's,....

The inner plate should come loose with abit of beatin', then some pryin',...
Once the inner is out, go back to beatin' the studs to remove the outer,...
Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM
Registered

Just an update...it wasn't on with 5200. The problem came down to the area where the input shaft goes through, on the exteriors portion of it where it aligns with the inner plate, it was flared out for some reason, felt like it had a bit of a bevel to it. I assume this was from maybe a catastrophic u-joint failure of the previous owner, can't think of anything else that would cause this. After some "modification" the transom assembly is out. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.